Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Super Me (2019)
Sometimes my NetflixBot feels me.

This is a story about a screenwriter with writer’s block. I get it. If I ever wrote any kind of script, it’d be about a martial arts writers. That being said, stories about writers always intrigue me because it’s such a hackneyed trope and I can so relate.

Sang has nightmares and hasn’t slept for months. He can’t write. In his dreams, a ghastly smoldering specter kills him and he’s terrified. He’s broke and someone steals his laptop. But then he dreams up a solutions and is able to grab the specter’s sword and bring it back to the real world. It’s a fantasy sword, but it’s nice - patternwelded blade not some cheesy fake hamon line. That caught my interest.

This is an exploration of Freud & Jung 101 with a stereotype Chinese romance and some amusing cgi. The dream sequences are overblown yet tinged with enough surreality that they were entertaining. The Cgi-enhances action was eye candy. I guessed the main mcguffin - it was pretty typical for a dream theme film. The later mcguffin s got confusing. 

There’s a lot of plot holes and this puts on airs that it’s about some deep exploration of subconscious theory, but if you think about it too much (or even a little) you’ll spoils it for yourself. You just gotta go with it if you want a pleasurable experience. 

Despite the sword, no sword fights (unless you count just stabbing someone.) DOOM recommended, but be sure to watch it in the end.

Made me crave PRC street vendor pancakes. So good. Mmmmm I can almost taste one.
Shadow boxing the apocalypse