Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Undercover Punch & Gun
(05-07-2021, 04:35 PM)Drunk Monk Wrote: Undercover Punch & Gun

The lead here is Philip Ng, a personal friend who I've mentioned here many times before. This came out a few years ago but is finally getting distribution in North America (VOD & DVD/BRD). I just got the screener. I reached out to Phil, who responded immediately. I'll do an interview - it's a good excuse to reconnect. 

If I ever get back to HK, maybe Phil will take DM out on the town. You know, introduce him to his starlet friends and such, the beautiful people. 

This was pretty fun - a classic-style HK undercover cop in the triads. It reunites my buddy Phil with his two acting friends Andy On and Vanness Wu. It's a threadbare hackneyed plot. Undercover cops chase down a cop gone bad who pirated a cargo ship. But this is not about the plot, is it? It's about the action. For action lovers, this is a delightful romp. If you're looking for anything else - like plot or something (Greg) why are you watching this sort of fare? 

Phil's fight choreo is on point. He looks great and delivers some excellent fights (sure, I'm biased here). There's some decent stunts and fine HK style firefights (double pistol action with guns dramatically angled). There's even NG that goes BTS and shows how hard it was to get some of those scenes. You can fast forward to the fight scenes - but it's mostly fight scenes. 

The title is a weak translations - It's 潛龍狙擊 which is more like 'secret dragon spy fight' It came out in 2016 and finally is making it to the US via Hi-Yah! and Well Go USA (which is why I'm posting this in DVDs). 

I'll interview Phil about it. It's more of an excuse to touch base with an old friend. Phil has such potential to break Hollywood. He's got a great look, major Kung Fu skills, and speaks perfect English (raised in Chicago). 

No sword fights but a decent knife fight (balisong v trench knuckle knife) and a sniper hottie v sniper hottie duel (that was kinda dumb but whatev). Recommended for DOOM martial arts fans. 
Shadow boxing the apocalypse
Random afterthought: there was someone credited as Tea Lady. That’s so Hong Kong.
(05-08-2021, 10:34 PM)Drunk Monk Wrote: No sword fights 

I need to amend this. There was some machetes. In HK, they're sometimes called watermelon knives. I don't know why. But it was machete wielding gangsters against gangsters going full auto, plus one with a sonic blast gun, so you can guess how that fared.