Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Freaks – Du bist eine von uns (2020)

A German superhero flick. It's modest. A suburban working mom meets a homeless dude who says she needs to go off her meds because she's 'one of us'. The meds are chemical restraints keeping her from her true superpowers. What makes this different is that it's not a nerdy kid who discovers his power. It's a working mom with bourgeoisie issues. She works at a fast food diner that specializes in chops. Her manager is hilarious, a stocky German woman obsessed with Schwarzenegger. There is a nerdy kid who discovers his power but he goes a different direction. 

It's okay but nothing that extraordinary. I liked the lead actress Cornelia Gröschel. There's some metaphors to being special and the treatment of abnormal psychology, but it never gets that deep. When someone gives her a superhero costume that's like a dominitrix outfit, she asks if he thinks of her as 'jerk off material'.

I watched it in the original German with subs. I think that improved my experience. The end credit German rap is hard. I've always thought German was one of the best languages for rap. 

There's a predictable end credits scene. It bums me out that those are so ubiquitous now. 

I was amused to learn that 'Ciao' is 'Ciao' in German. 'Fuck' is 'Fuck' which is a little disappointing. I thought it was 'Fechten' 

No sword fights.  No particularly DOOM recommended. 
Shadow boxing the apocalypse
Yeah, saw this one and it was just barely this side of “meh”. I do like that about netflix, though, that you can watch in the original language and get subs.
In the Tudor Period, Fencing Masters were classified in the Vagrancy Laws along with Actors, Gypsys, Vagabonds, Sturdy Rogues, and the owners of performing bears.
Most superhero stories are kinda 'meh' for me. I have to lower the bar when I watch them, just like with Kung Fu flicks. It's ironic that I have to cover so much of them now...
Shadow boxing the apocalypse
That's because that is all there is.

I did spend yesterday browsing through Avengers: Infinity War and it was enjoyable. I've also watched Into the Spiderverse more than is healthy.
As a matter of fact, my anger does keep me warm

Yeah, but Infinity War is operatic in it’s scale and Spiderverse is so damn fun!
In the Tudor Period, Fencing Masters were classified in the Vagrancy Laws along with Actors, Gypsys, Vagabonds, Sturdy Rogues, and the owners of performing bears.