Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sentinelle (2021)

A French soldier struggling with PTSD and opiates is transferred to Paris as a Sentinelle - an anti-terrorist patrol. Then her sister gets raped by a powerful Russian, and she walks the road of vengeance. 

The soldier is Bond girl Olga Kurylenko. She's got good expressive intensity but she's runway model skinny so unconvincing as a fighter. Fortunately her stunt doubles do the heavy lifting, plus she's wearing military body armor during many of the fights and that thickens her up. 

Den asked me to take a look and see if I had any takes on it. I don't. It's an okay film but I can't quite milk an article out of it. The filmmakers had a good sense of location and knew that Olga's majestic cheekbones should be featured prominently with every opportunity. The action is okay, not great but not bad. The story, well, I just told it to you. It doesn't go much deeper than that. There's no peripheral character development. 

So no. I have no take. Maybe if I sleep on it, something will emerge. I was hoping for some angle into CAC (a French stunt school) but there's not that much there. It's rather flat overall, another rape revenge film. There's a distracting lesbian one night stand, and a random nekkid female officer headed to the showers (kinda French that way). There's a bathroom fight, a mansion fight, and some military fire fights. Maybe I missed something.

No sword fights. Not DOOM recommended except for Yetis that like Euro-actioners and or DOOMers into prominent cheekboned Bond girls.
Shadow boxing the apocalypse
No warehouse fight? Forget it then.

I do like my Euro-Actioners, looked this one over, but went for Revenger instead. I chose wisely.
In the Tudor Period, Fencing Masters were classified in the Vagrancy Laws along with Actors, Gypsys, Vagabonds, Sturdy Rogues, and the owners of performing bears.
Yeah, Revenger is far more entertaining. Sentinelle just felt hackneyed. But that was last night. What about tonight?

Olga. Don't Yetis like Olga?

I like Olga. I've always liked Olga. And this was all about Olga. But it just needed more substance somewhere - in the fights, the story, the lesbian love scene, something needed more. 

I thought I might have something with Agel Aurelia, Olga's stunt double. But that feels like a reach.

I get why Den asked for something. It's tracking well on Netflix for some reason. I don't know why.
Olga is why. They have been trying to make an action hero out of her for a while. I like Olga just fine, but she is too waif-ish to ascend the the heights of Eva Green. She doesn't exude anger like Drummer.
In the Tudor Period, Fencing Masters were classified in the Vagrancy Laws along with Actors, Gypsys, Vagabonds, Sturdy Rogues, and the owners of performing bears.
(03-10-2021, 09:23 AM)Dr. Ivor Yeti Wrote: She doesn't exude anger like Drummer.

Nor is she solid, like Bobbie Draper.

Olga needs a non-action vehicle. She can act well enough and she's easy on the eyes. She was better as a Bond girl.

We're killing the story with Den. I'm glad of it.