Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vibes for Peace @ Warfield 12/1/6
This was a benefit for the Rex Foundation, the charitable umbrella for the Grateful Dead. Floor tickets started at $1000 for front row, then $500 and $150 for floor. A very classy reception was held prior to the show.

Opening was Planet Drum. The last two times I saw PD were two of the top performances I've ever seen. KB will attest to one of them since he accompanied me. Since then, two members have passed - Olatunji and Hamza El Din. Remaining are Mickey Hart, Zakir Hussein, Sikiru Adepoju, and one other who's name escapes me now - Hidalgo something. In previous PD shows, each performer was showcased solo and then in jams together. For this performance, the quartet played together with someone doing synth effects in the background. It was ok - had some great moments - but much of the artistry was missing.

Then the main act - the Rhythm Devils. RD is the name of the Dead's two man percussion section, Mickey and Bill Kreutzman. They added some of the PD crew when they recorded the soundtrack for Apocalypse Now (still one of my favs). Tonight it was Mickey, Bill, Steve Kimock, Mike Gordon (from Phish) and Jen Durkin, who almost stole the crown of hippie queen with a scorching Piece of my Heart ala Janis opener. The special guest who came in around the third song or so for Cumberland - Bob Weir. They only played a few Dead tunes - and odd New Speedway Boogie, a blazin' Scarlet Fire (so good to hear that again), a highly anticipated Other One that sort of fizzled, a mediocre Good Lovin' (because it was late and they are old now). They went into a drums and space, but after PD, it was too much instrumental. The rest were song I didn't know. PD joined RD some where in the first set, so there were 5 drummers, one bass, one lead, one rhythm and one hippie chick. I remember Jerry complaining that the Dead had too many drummers with two. It was a bit much. Bobby seemed in good voice, but his guitar work wasn't noticeable. I saw him after the show and he was moving really slowly, limping severely. I saw Mickey earlier and he was as bouncy as ever. It was great seeing him play with Billy again, but they've lost the amazing syncopation they once had after years of disuse. Mickey traded beats with PD earlier and sounded much stronger. With RD, he mostly seemed to direct. Kimock was solid, although not estatic. Mike was the spine of it all, taming the 5 drummers into some sort of order. The show had several solid moments, but it only pushed through for me for that PomH opener and that Scarlet Fire.

Still, it was great to see so many old friends. Man I miss the Dead. Best job I ever had. What an amazing space that was.
Shadow boxing the apocalypse