Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Monster Run (2020)

Here's a Yaoguai movie. Y'all know I luv those. A young gal sees monsters. Turns out she's the chosen one. She finds an comrade in a loser monster hunter who makes his magic monster slaying gun out of plumbing pipes. He has a sidekick, paper - a magical charm being that converts from a paper airplane to an origami man.

This is disappointing. The monsters are mediocre and the effects are all poached from Harry Potter and Doctor Strange. The story is muddled. It's one of those movies that makes me upset because there's potential here - tiny glimpses of visionary ideas, but none of them come to fruition so I'm left with the thought of what a waste of effort it was. 

There's a Yeti. That's the first monster. It's a dopey Yeti (aren't they all?) FYI, Yeti in Mandarin is xueren - literally snow man. I don't know what they call snowmen though.

Monsters are reduced to crystals. Magic crystals. And those are worth money to monster hunters. 

The most annoying part is the villainess is played by my Shaw Brothers Kung Fu diva Kara Hui - here as Kara Wai (in the trailer as Kara Wai Ying Hung). She's reduced to a demoness, but not a cool one, just one that laughs stiltedly like a 70s villain. 

I fell asleep several times. The I got so far in the film that my janky wifi at home couldn't buffer Netflix fast enough and kept timing out. So I was stuck. Finally finished it with my mom's superior wifi. And you know what? I fell asleep again. 

No sword fights but there's a kusarigama wielding villain. Not DOOM recommended.
Shadow boxing the apocalypse