Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Space Sweepers (2021)
A Korean near earth space opera. Space sweepers are paid to clear out the junk in the low earth orbit, but that's just the start. Earth is on it's last legs. The rich live in domes in orbit but their final destination is Mars. There is one large mega-corporation that runs everything and that Corporation, UTS, is run by one guy who is the oldest and richest man on Earth. He's got issues.

Our show is focused in the crew of the Victory, a collection of ne'er do wells who owe money to everyone and can't catch a break. There is lots of back story to the crew. One used to be a citizen soldier. One is a robot that used to hire out for assassinations. There is Mr. Park down in the engine room. And the one break they could catch is a kid who also might be a hydrogen bomb that the terrorists want.

There is so much going on in this film. And they do kind of pick up story lines and then drop them. A lot of it is absurd in that Iron Sky sort of way. (But no Hitler) And it is kind of kid oriented.

I think they did a good job with the effects. There are quite a few good space battles. I do like the design of security forces armor. At times it was tough to follow the action so much is going on.

It was uneven throughout, but the end was amazingly powerful. Made me a little wispy eyed.

I'm going to say I kind of enjoyed it with reservations. It was really long at 2 hr 15.
As a matter of fact, my anger does keep me warm

I almost watched this last night but opted for this instead - http://www.brotherhoodofdoom.com/doomFor...p?tid=6103

It was the swordfights that tipped the scales...
Shadow boxing the apocalypse
I watched this on Friday and agree with G-Man's review.

Also, what is the Korean equivalent of "gwai-lo" "gai-jin" or "haole"?
In the Tudor Period, Fencing Masters were classified in the Vagrancy Laws along with Actors, Gypsys, Vagabonds, Sturdy Rogues, and the owners of performing bears.
I agreed more or less with Greg too. 

I didn't think it was for kids - it was more for parents of kids. And I would've prefered it ending about 20 mins earlier instead of SPOILER invoking the Disney-death END SPOILER. I liked Bub the bot the best. At first I thought it was just a derivation of Tudyk's K-2SO but in typical K-flick fashion, it went a totally different direction in the end. The space battles fused Bladerunner-on-steroids design with Star Wars dog fights and The Expanse rail guns. Like Greg said, it was hard to follow and I kept losing track of which was the good ship. Nanobots are the new crystals of sci-fi. 

(01-07-2021, 07:29 AM)Greg Wrote: Space Sweepers! I have no idea what is going on in this trailer.

Follow up question for Greg - do you know what's going on now?

Answer for Ivor: Gaijin in Korean is oegug-in. Not sure about gwailo.
I pretty much got it. There were just some points during the film I had no idea where we were or what was going on. But I just rolled with it.

What weird world have we entered when DM and the Yeti™ both kind of agree with my review? Strange things are afoot at the Circle K, indeed.

Let us never speak of it again.
In the Tudor Period, Fencing Masters were classified in the Vagrancy Laws along with Actors, Gypsys, Vagabonds, Sturdy Rogues, and the owners of performing bears.
Omerta for everyone!

(02-08-2021, 06:31 AM)Greg Wrote: I pretty much got it. There were just some points during the film I had no idea where we were or what was going on. But I just rolled with it.
There were a lot of conflict resolutions where I didn't quite understand how they got from one place to the other, like when Tiger swings from a cable to catch the falling Dorothy at the last moment and then they're back on the Victory for the escape, but like you said, gotta just roll with it.

(02-08-2021, 07:19 AM)Greg Wrote: What weird world have we entered when DM and the Yeti™ both kind of agree with my review? Strange things are afoot at the Circle K, indeed.
http://www.brotherhoodofdoom.com/doomFor...p?tid=5535

This debuted at #1 this weekend. Go figure.
I had the same thought about Tiger. I thought he was swinging to some other place. But all those catapult shots to other ships were weird. And even in the beginning, I thought they lost the ship holding the kid when went through a tight spot. Then I thought they sold the ship holding the kid and then they had the ship with the kid in it.

Confused, but moving forward.

Yup. Though I will disagree in public, for the sake of form.
There were a lot of weird leaps like that, such as the cut off hand - I thought that was a Star Wars nod for a moment. And where the heck was he hiding that axe all that time? It was like when Bruce pulled out his nunchucks in Fist of Fury

But yeah, can't dwell on such things and enjoy this at the same time. And it was fairly enjoyable overall. I liked the universe that it created.
The world building impressed me. I do like a good cyber-punk future. The hand reference I got from Mr. Park talking about previous exploits and Bub saying that he wished he had some of those hands. It was nice that he remembered Bub’s request later in the movie. The other choppy moments you and G-Man reference were noted and discarded for the enjoyment of the movie as a whole.
No I got the hand reference and Bub's desire. It was how that all happened that confused me. They're on the edge of the precipice and Tiger whips out his axe from nowhere and the next scene, he's got the hand. That felt a bit... well, choppy. 

It was really a lot about Bub for me. That character was awesome, especially how it all got resolved. Bub is up there among my fav movie bots now.

I hope they sequel this. The Victory crew has a great chemistry.
(02-07-2021, 11:43 PM)Drunk Monk Wrote:  SPOILER invoking the Disney-death END SPOILER. 

What does this refer to? Is this an example?

--tg