Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My job sucks more than yours
I thought you worked in an office, Gene. Why do you need safety glasses? What the hell goes on in there?
It's all fun and games, there until someone puts an eye out. Those stories can be cutting.
So much for the flickr badge idea. Dammit
But just for the record, I always keep weapons by my desk. It's an odd habit, one that I've maintained through my last three jobs. You never know. You just never know.
Shadow boxing the apocalypse
Just some of the airborne elements last Saturday on the Stage:

Welding Gasses
Propmaker Gasses
Airborne MDF
Stay put adhesive fumes
Paint fumes
Sanded Paint Dust

and Mica. Clouds of Mica. It's everywhere. I'm sure my poops sparkle at this point, I've injested so much. It's $85 a pound. Maybe I should pick it out?
We're trying to get the set finished. They are scheduled to shoot it next Monday. With the crew I had Tuesday, we could have been done early and gone home, to fight our way through lovely rain infected traffic.

What does our Production Team in their infinite wisdom decide to do? They shut us down for an hour so Beyonce Knowles could do her film interview. It was great listening to her expound on how wonderful her role in the picture. She can't imagine any other role being as fantastic. The director was great. Jamie Foxx was great. Eddie Murphy was great. The song were great. The choreograpy was great. It's just going to be great. I was tempted to throw something. That would have been great.

And it wasn't just construction hanging out and being cool. There must have been forty technicians all standing around listening to her babble. Now, Monday, they are going to have a perfectly good empty set on Stage 6 where they could have shot her interview, but no.
All these years and you still don't understand. I was BEYONCE, fer chrissake.
I don't think I'm ready for this jelly.
I don't think I'm ready for this jelly.
I don't think I'm readr for this jelly.
Your body is just too bootylicious for me, baby.
I'm on a big time Hollywood production. For about the zillionth time, maybe more, I'm hearing
Effy sing about her pain.

It's 8:37. I only have another four and a half hours to go. I might need to self medicate.

I also seem to have switched over to a 26 hour day. I'm on for fourteen hours and off for twelve. If it's not a twenty-six hour day, I am so getting screwed in the sleep department.
It's 3:52 in the am on Thursday morning with no end to the workday in sight. I'm typing in order to keep myself awake. At some point we switched to a 28 hour day. The dogs are going to be pissed.

When is this day going to be over? Well, they want to finish this scene which they started a out an hour ago. It only takes them about two hours per setup and there are a lot of setups. Maybe I'll be home in time for the Queen's return.
This didn't happen to me.

There is a guy on the crew who lost his thumb to a hole saw on the drill press. The pipe slipped and in his thumb went.

It was a clean cut and they managed to sew the thumb back on. Ah, the miracles of modern sciende. It's too bad they didn't connect the proper artery that fed to the thumb. Five days later they had to remove the now dead thumb. Oops.

However there is an alternative to not having a thumb. Months go by as they decide whether it's feasible and whether it's covered. It is and he is. They remove his big toe and attach it to where his thumb used to reside. It is one of the most freakish and cool things I have seen. He gives everyone a big toe up and he kicks ass at thumb wars.

All told, he was out of work for eighteen months. Yet another sacrifice to the film gods.
Apparently Mother Nature thinks that Monday through Friday of 7 AM to 5PM at the home office wasn't enough. As I was getting ready to say sayonara to my Chicago colleagues and escape from the building, alarms sounded then power went out and we were all hustled into an unwindowed hallway on the ground floor. Apparently that's the drill when there's a tornado heading that way. No one had a radio handy, so we huddled around the chief engineer's Blackberry to get updated weather reports. (And he has a sore throat -- hope he didn't give us all whatever disease he's got.)

About an hour later, power came back on and they gave us an all clear to leave. I had lots of fun driving my rental PT Cruiser through the golf ball-sized hail back to the hotel.
Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.
Did I mention I hate standby? We are doing reshoots for Dreamgirls and I get nominated to hang out with the crew. Happy Happy Joy Joy. Feh.

I get to start work at 11am. My fellow propmakers aren't informed of this and flip out when I don't show at 6am. I got quite a few messages on the answering machine.

The highlight of the evening was when we were all set and ready to go for a shot of Eddie Murphy in the Indianapolis hotel room (He invented the shiny suit. It had a lightning bolt on the back. It was shiny) and Eddie decided we should all wait for him for an hour. Ugggh.

On a personal note, someone spilled a soda into my computer bag and failed to mention it to me. And there is only one stage on the Paramount lot that does not have wireless internet connection. We were on it. Go Team.
When your first stop on the way to work is Contractor's Warehouse where you need to purchase a sledgehammer. Bathroom remodels are the bomb!
I'm about to make a spontaneous comment. But be warned that it may contain some political content. I apologize beforehand.

WARNING! WARNING! WARNING! IMPENDING POLITICAL COMMENT! IMPENDING POLITICAL COMMENT!
---------------------------------------
A sledgehammer?
I thought our Administration had bought them all up for use in foreign diplomacy.
---------------------------------------
END OF WARNING, END OF WARNING, END OF WARNING...

And I will apologize afterhand.

--cranefly
I'm nobody's pony.
It was subtle.