Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Outside the Wire (2021)
Anthony Mackie (Falcon in the MCU) stars in this near future war film about an incident in Ukraine. A young Drone Pilot disobeys orders on a drone strike and is sent to the front to see what his disobedience costs. He is paired up with Mackie to go OUTSIDE THE WIRE to track down a McGuffin to avert the thing we all don't want to happen. There's double-crosses and the fate of the world comes into play. It's from the people who brought you The Old Guard and The Extraction.

Oh my god they do a lot of talking in this action film. So much sitting in the patrol car explaining life and why war is bad and how Drone pilots don't know about war. I was getting lumps on my skull from all the messaging they were hitting me over the head with. Just go and shoot people with the cool robots already. The fight scenes and battle scenes. But you forget about them because here comes another MESSAGE.

In the end the plot fell apart. It didn't bear too much scrutiny. At one point, they should just have shot the bad guy and the film would have ended or been simpler. But no. And why does Mackie always through away his gun every time it's empty? And why in some scenes does Mackie hit everything he shoots at and in other scenes he can't seem to hit anything?

Knife fights. No Sword fights.
As a matter of fact, my anger does keep me warm

I almost watched this last night because my old gf Emily 'The Widow' Beecham is in it. 

And the Widow is hawt.

However, my Shaolin elder bro Matt Polly slammed it on his twitter, so I postponed it. I may watch it tonight. I will be prepared to be disappointed. 

The Widow's performances have been lackluster since she holstered her swords, dropped her stilettos and left the Badlands (http://www.brotherhoodofdoom.com/doomFor...p?tid=5516). Plus Daniel gave me an earful about her when we last hung out (http://www.brotherhoodofdoom.com/doomFor...6#pid43646) and that was very disillusioning. He does that though sometimes. He's dished about other celebs in his acquaintance. I'm not sure if it's a catty celebrity thing or what. He is flattering sometimes too.
Shadow boxing the apocalypse
Yep. She is definitely in it....
As a matter of fact, my anger does keep me warm

(01-18-2021, 11:53 AM)Greg Wrote: Yep. She is definitely in it....
I hope she managed to get a word in edgewise.
I'm nobody's pony.
Okay, Greg's review probably stands. I tuned this in last night out of remaining loyalty to the Widow and watched it all the way through. But I fell asleep. Several times. I'm not sure why because I got a decent night's rest the night before. Something about this put me to sleep repeatedly. 

I confess, I'll doze off watching TV a lot lately, mostly because we don't really have a decent sofa in the north chamber. We share a folded futon, which acts like a cushy couch, but we both don't fit unless we both sit upright, which means I'll often lie on the floor with just my head on it. However, Stacy had already gone to bed and it was just me so I had the luxury of the whole futon to myself. 

I woke for all of Emily's scenes (I think). She was okay. I liked her coldness. I've always liked that.

I woke for all of the fight scenes (I think). They were okay too. I liked when Mackitbot was in full battle mode. The battlebots were too CGI for me. And I was bummed that the drones weren't more advanced than what we have today.

I'm not planning to go back and watch what I slept through, especially after Greg's review. Preaching about the evils of drone collateral damage in a sci-fi like this just didn't work for me. There are better films for that like Eye in the Sky (http://www.brotherhoodofdoom.com/doomFor...p?tid=3708) or just watch the season of Homeland when Carrie becomes the drone queen (http://www.brotherhoodofdoom.com/doomFor...p?tid=4372).

If there were swordfights, I slept through them. Not DOOM recommended unless you can properly time your naps like I did.
Shadow boxing the apocalypse