Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Witch: The Subversion (Korean)
Nothing new here, but it is done well. The lead is very good, the bad guys/gals are very bad, and there is blood. Lots of it. The action doesn’t happen until the last 30 minutes, but the build up is interesting. A sequel is in the works, apparently. I’ll watch that when it comes out.
In the Tudor Period, Fencing Masters were classified in the Vagrancy Laws along with Actors, Gypsys, Vagabonds, Sturdy Rogues, and the owners of performing bears.
Finally watched this. Been hearing buzz about it for years. It’s not a horror. It’s sanguineous ultravi, your kinda thing. Tonight it popped out of my ample queue as the flick to watch as the night turned to Halloween.

It’s a slow burn. 2 hours but 2 hours of good tension, with some hypnotic cinematography and some intense characters. The lead gal, Kim Da-mi, is amazing. Her transition from victim to antihero? Villain? Whatev she becomes it’s awesome. And when that final action sequence, it’s sanguineousness Maximus. Cool choreo, speed up to great effect, like superhero fights where people get thrown thrown walls. I get what all the buzz was about.

I concur. It is done well. When the action hits, it’s like being in a different movie, a payout in full of the built up tension. It was viscerally purgative.

The sequel came out in 2020 - The Witch : The Other One. I think it’s on Hoopla too, which is where I watched this. I’ll watch it too and review it here afterwards.

D00M recommended.
Shadow boxing the apocalypse
The Witch Part 2: The Other One

This sequel is full of surprises. A continuation of the Witch world where young girls are genetically modified killing machines. But this installment moves into the extreme superpower realm, to good effect. There's plenty of sanguineousness, everything is spattered crimson. But the first major fight that reveals these superpowers is launches this deep into hyperactive superhero fights, and gory ones at that. i totally laughed when that reveal emerged like 'well okay, we're going there.' The choreo is fun, choppy and ultraviolent, in sharp contrast to some of the more idyllic or comic scenes. There's a lot fo gear changes here, and they steadily escalate. Note that a keen ear is helpful to tell when characters are speaking Korean and Mandarin...and English. The English segments started out dumb and campy, but then that campiness reached a satisfying dollop, like the gravy in an absurd K-flick. 

I'm for part three, whenever it comes. It is set up nicely by a post credit scene.

(12-29-2020, 12:04 AM)Dr. Ivor Yeti Wrote: A sequel is in the works, apparently. I’ll watch that when it comes out.

You will be amused.

Both installments of The Witch are D00M recommended. Watch them in order however. Both are on Hoopla.
Shadow boxing the apocalypse