Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Prom (2020)
A Broadway musical done as a Netflix film with an A list cast. It's about a lesbian girl who wants to go to prom but it's in Indiana where there are no gays. Is that right, cf? 

Anyway, it's very colorful and lots to broadway style hits belted out by the cast, funny, witty, relevant and predictable. Very lgbtq positive. 

I've often said Meryl can't sing but she's a good enough actress that she can fake it. I recant that. Her singing was on point here - autotune? Maybe. I couldn't tell. 

They let Nicole stand at her full height so she towers over everyone being just shy of 6" but she's looking anorexic in this. A comment about her 'antelope legs' is spot on. Her singing and dancing were the weakest of the cast. 

It was much more about James Corden who delivers some heartfelt scenes but is not getting criticized because he plays a gay man but he's actually straight (who knew?) 

Keegan-Michael Key, Tracy Ullman, and Kerry Washington fill out the cast. Tracy was the only one that I knew could sing beforehand, but she doesn't. 

Jo Ellen Pellman, who plays the lead lesbian, was a revelation - she's quite a talent. This is her breakout movie. 

In the end, it's a happily ever after show, and I read some criticism just now on that because it is not authentic. I can't keep up with all of that. I was amused watching Meryl and Nicole vamp it up and James too. 

No sword fights. Not particularly DOOM recommended unless you like lgbtq musicals.
Shadow boxing the apocalypse
I was thinking of watching it for the stellar cast. We shall see.
As a matter of fact, my anger does keep me warm

I only recommend it if you're open to lgbtq broadway musicals. It's flamboyantly overdone, but aren't all lgbtq broadway musicals?
Shadow boxing the apocalypse