Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Enola Holmes (2020 on Netflix)
Strugglin not to make a banana joke

[Image: tumblr_lzx1c7P4ou1r3dsfto2_250.gif]
Shadow boxing the apocalypse
I respect your struggle.
As a matter of fact, my anger does keep me warm

Did I ever tell you about the time I saw The Book of Mormon with HBC in London?

She came in right before the show started, walked across mid-theatre, two rows ahead of me and went and saw with her party.

...so, we were in the theatre together. Right?

--tg
[Image: 200.gif]
I came in with low expecations and was entertained. It was fluff. As Greg mentioned, she kept speaking to the audience, I presume because she is the narrator at the beginning, and so is telling the story we are watching. It didn't add anything and was distracting. She even winks at us at one point. (Addressing the audience did work well in Orlando, but was used sparingly - and it was Tilda.)

I think the writers know just about nothing about the end of the 19th century. Enola and her mother live in a huge house, but there only seems to be one servant, the cook. At the climax - SLIGHT SPOILER - a man is firing a gun in a rich family's manor house, but no servants appear, and there would have been a number of them living in the house. You couldn't just give them the night off! They lived there! And an old woman knew how to handle a shotgun, which I found very far-fetched.

HP factor=3: Bellatrix, Aunt Petunia, and Madame Maxime.

Sherlock says at the end that he would like to be her guardian, so they left it open for a sequel.
the hands that guide me are invisible
Seen. It was okay. I agree with both Greg & KB, but lean more towards KB’s take. It started out with a lot of gimmicky production tricks but those fade out towards the end. It’s mostly about Millie. She’s charismatic and carries it - it’s her production so her vehicle. 

Needed a sword fight. There were two foils stuck in Helena’s home so I was hopeful. But no. Now 3 DOOMers have seen this so the rest of you might as well. It’s kinda cute.
Enola Holmes 2 coming November 4

How about the latest trailer. November 4 release date.

First off, how are we getting Captcha inputs on the page.

Second, saw Enola Holmes 2. I think the most interesting thing about the movie was that it had a historical basis.

The whole movie seemed very predictable. I think I'm over the fourth wall breaking at this point. It's a bit overdone. There was a heavy emphasis on finding the clue to lead us to the clue. It didn't have enough Sherlock Holmes being cool telling us what all the clues in the scene mean. Henry Cavill doesn't strike me as a great Sherlock Holmes.

But sword fight.

If you enjoyed the first one you will probably enjoy this one but it is just more of the same.

I thought this one was maybe a bit better than the first, although I don't remember that one so well, so I could be wrong. I thought Cavill was also a bit better in this one.
the hands that guide me are invisible
(12-04-2020, 08:21 PM)Drunk Monk Wrote: Seen. It was okay. I agree with both Greg & KB, but lean more towards KB’s take. It started out with a lot of gimmicky production tricks but those fade out towards the end. It’s mostly about Millie. She’s charismatic and carries it - it’s her production so her vehicle. 

It’s kinda cute.

My appraisal of EH1 still works for EH2. It's still kinda cute.

(12-04-2020, 08:21 PM)Drunk Monk Wrote: Needed a sword fight. There were two foils stuck in Helena’s home so I was hopeful. 
(11-06-2022, 07:38 AM)Greg Wrote: But sword fight.

I lol-ed when Tewkesbury made that remark about fencing in school, but then it came around and I was amused. It was a lame sword fight but at least there was one. I was rather hoping my Helena wish was granted instead, but we'll take whatever we can get nowadays. 

HP Factor 2 - Bellatrix still, and now adding Prof Lupin.
Just watched Enola #1. Very pleasant and enjoyable. I’ll watch #2 later this week.
In the Tudor Period, Fencing Masters were classified in the Vagrancy Laws along with Actors, Gypsys, Vagabonds, Sturdy Rogues, and the owners of performing bears.
#2 watched. G-Man should be barred from "popular entertainment" as he is clearly a H8ter. It was, like the first, pleasant and enjoyable. The 4th Wall demolition was tastefully done and hit no load-bearing bits of plot.
In the Tudor Period, Fencing Masters were classified in the Vagrancy Laws along with Actors, Gypsys, Vagabonds, Sturdy Rogues, and the owners of performing bears.
We can’t ban Greg. He runs this here D00M4M. How would that even work? 

Besides he’s got the most film authority of any of us. He studied it in school, worked in it, and made some docs to warm up to what will surely be his masterpiece, DM & the Yeti. 

All I did was work at a 3rd run theater for a few years. But I do get paid to review movies. Not that I get paid a lot for reviews, but that does make me a pro. Here, on the D00M4M, I share my reviews with y’all for free out of the generosity of my cinephilic heart.

It’s kinda funny that all Greg’s movie experience has wrecked his ability to enjoy movies, but I get it. I don’t enjoy reading that much after writing for a living.

But back to Enola, I’d like to see Millie do an artsy film or maybe a spy actioner. I’d watch an Enola threequel.