Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Secret Society (2000) by Imogen Kimmel
Plump Daisy has self-image issues, despite having a husband who adores her unconditionally.  When she finds out he lost his job, she takes a job at a canning factory to make ends meet.  While sorting peas on the line, she notices that the hefty manager gives hefty woman special treatment.  Before long, she is tested and recruited into a secret society of sumo wrestlers.

Yeah.  I suppose you saw that coming from a mile away.  Another secret female sumo wrestler club lurking in a canning factory.  And as you've probably guessed by now, eventually there's a big showdown where they take on Japan's finest sumo team (male at that).

This could have sent a very positive message to weight-conscious women, but somehow it gets distorted or subsumed by a subplot where the husband belongs to a UFO fan club that believes aliens are here on Earth to eat or assimilate women or some such nonsense, and it all comes to a head when he mistakes a secret training bout for an alien trying to eat or assimilate his wife.

As Confucius once said (speaking with his mouth full), implausible pies are best served with a topping of truth syrup.  Yeah, I know that doesn't make much sense.  But neither does this movie.
I'm nobody's pony.
So ... um ... do you recommend this?

Asking for a friend.
Shadow boxing the apocalypse
What about the poster?
In the Tudor Period, Fencing Masters were classified in the Vagrancy Laws along with Actors, Gypsys, Vagabonds, Sturdy Rogues, and the owners of performing bears.
(08-23-2020, 06:43 PM)Drunk Monk Wrote: So ... um ... do you recommend this?

Asking for a friend.
Hmmm.  I watched this because it sounded outrageously offbeat and promised a positive message for women.  But it's fairly low-budget, has plot holes sumo wrestlers could pass through two abreast, and, well...  Let me put it this way: I don't think Udo Kier would have cried watching this movie (though I did).  So I'd probably give it a pass.
I'm nobody's pony.
fair enuf
Shadow boxing the apocalypse