Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Da 5 Bloods (2020) by Spike Lee
I was very impressed by the trailer and have been looking forward to watching this.

Tonight was the night.  I thought.

It's 2 hours and 35 minutes long.  I stopped at maybe the hour and ten minute mark.  Doubt I'll resume.

Can't really judge it based on an incomplete viewing.  But it was really feeling longer than need be, with the major goal so obviously unworkable that I lost interest.

Maybe it pulls a rabbit out of the hat beyond this point, but ... what can I say?  Time's up.

Seemed the right time to watch a Spike Lee movie.  Now I'm feeling a bit traitorous.
I'm nobody's pony.
Sorry to hear this. I've read some glowing reviews from others on sitonmyfacebook. Maybe it gets better? 

If you don't finish it, it should really go on our Movies that were so godawful, even I couldn't get through it http://www.brotherhoodofdoom.com/doomFor...p?tid=3296
Shadow boxing the apocalypse
(06-14-2020, 11:09 PM)Drunk Monk Wrote: If you don't finish it, it should really go on our Movies that were so godawful, even I couldn't get through it http://www.brotherhoodofdoom.com/doomFor...p?tid=3296
Gotcha.
Just so this wouldn't be misfiled, I finished it last night.
Very uneven, and I'll stick to calling it a disappointment.  Not sure this is the time to belabor why.  I see the message, and support it, but found the packaging and delivery faulty.  'Nuff said.
I'm nobody's pony.
I found it derivative and disappointing.

I love Spike Lee (my favorite is "Summer of Sam").

This was just an average Viet-Nam "Platoon" movie with under-developed characters and a MacGuffin plot.

I would love to see a true black experience Viet Nam movie but this wasn't it.
[Image: magpie13.gif]
Granted it was long winded and could’ve used an edit but I was engaged. I found it predictable too - several of the plot twists I saw coming. Veronica Ngo was the radio gal and Johnny Tri Nguyen was the guide. Both were more cameo parts but at least Spike cast them. And I’m a fan of Delroy Lindo ever since The Good Fight. He captured ptsd well enough. If it was edited down to an hour and a half, it would’ve been much improved. It wasn’t so much a Nam flick; it was a BLM flick. I did like the historical facts segues despite their gratuituousness. I suppose Netflix just gave Spike Card Blanche to do something BLM which is why it could use a trim.

No sword fights. Some ok firefights but too much digital blood puffs. That’s two DOOM nays and one DOOM okay, so the rest of you can judge from there.
Shadow boxing the apocalypse