Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Two Popes (Netflix 2019)
Jonathan Price plays the soon to be Pope Francis as he visits Anthony Hopkins the soon to be retiring Pope Benedict. It flashes back and forth in time mainly focusing on Pope Francis's life in Argentina, how he become a priest, and how he cooperated with the right wing government. There's also a lot of discussions between Pope Francis and Pope Benedict on the concept of faith and listening for God.

It was based on a play and it shows. There is some historical accuracy for the movie as it's based on letters the Popes wrote and speeches they gave. But some of it is obviously made from whole cloth. 

But it was good. You have two great actors going up against each other and the screenplay gives them a chance to stretch their acting chops.

I did learn some things about Pope Francis I did not know, which was basically nothing.

The main thing that caused me jealousy was the fact the popes got to sit in the Sistine Chapel all alone. Even Pope Francis mentions, pre-pope, that if he were Pope, he'd sit in there every day. Me, too.

No sword fights. No car chases. No HP factor. Lots of acting.
As a matter of fact, my anger does keep me warm