Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gary Gulman: The Great Depresh
Nothing funnier than crippling depression, am I right?

Not since Hanna Gadsby took us through the problems of being a lesbian in the special 'Nanette' has anyone eviscerated their psyche like Gary Gulman does in The Great Depresh on HBO. It's an amazing piece of work. It's mostly a comedy show but he does have interview bits where he talks to thos close to him about his depression. And it is a deep dark depression.  It got so bad that he was sleeping all day and when he wasn't sleeping, he cried uncontrollably. Eventually, he checked himself into a psychiatric ward for intense help. And his stories of this period while horrifying are also quite funny.

He starts in childhood and talks about dealing with sports and travels all the way to being in the psyche ward. One of the great benefits of the show is how positively he talks about the journey of dealing with his depression. He talks about all the medications he's be on. He talks about how a college coach probably saved his life by sending him to a psychiatrist. And he talks about the controversial treatment he received at the hospital which he thinks is one of the main reason he can stand up and do comedy today.

And it was all really funny.
As a matter of fact, my anger does keep me warm