Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lord of War
The poster is both subtle and blatant. It's a head and shoulder shot of Nicholas Cage. On closer inspection, you realize his hair is all ammo and half his face is a crosshatch of guns, and even the visible part of his business suit is canisters or shells. As for his expression-- Well, it's Nicholas Cage. Sort of a dreamy look of detachment.

The title's letters are also composed of weapons.

It's advertised as "The #1 action movie in America."

Ebert and Roeper both gave it thumbs up.

For those in the Bay Area, it's currently playing in Emeryville.

--cranefly
I'm nobody's pony.
I was going to go see it and passed. I was hoping somebody else could say yay or nay besides the fatman and his crony. But whay I got from your review cranefly is that the poster was cool. I got that.
So much for the flickr badge idea. Dammit
Well, it's pretty obvious what the movie was about.
And I wouldn't want to spoil it for anyone by mentioning a single scene, or even commenting in a general way on my reaction...

Crap. Oh, all right. I didn't see it either. But it sure sounded like a great movie, and with Nicholas Cage! Even better, it seemed to have a very important message to make, one that probably cost the studio half its potential audience right off the bat, along political lines.

I felt almost ethically bound to see this movie and to support it. But I was busy when it opened, and the next thing I knew, it was gone. It seemed to disappear the same week it opened. Am I imagining it? Did it bomb?

If it did bomb, I suspect many years from now it will be seen as an overlooked classic.

Didn't anyone see it?

--cranefly
I'm nobody's pony.
It's still playing in a few theaters around here, but I guess I'll add it to my dvd queue and get it then. Is the irony that a movie about arms dealers bombed?

Peace Sells. Too bad no one is buying. I think that was a Megadeth album.
Guess what, according to "Lord of War" guns are bad. Who knew? I guess the producers and the directors missed the class in film school about if you want to send a message, use western union (Which is now kind of dated since, Western Union just sent their last telegram)
Nicholas Cage is not believable as a Ukrainian. Jared Leto moreso. It went for wry and sarcastic, but the message part of the movie kept getting in the way. Especially the end credits.
It's a movie about evil people. Syrianna did a better job of depicting evil without making me feel like I got hit by the message stick every ten seconds or so.

I guess I should have stopped with just enjoying the poster.
I think Lord of War was my first poster review, just shy of twelve years ago.

Anyway, I watched it tonight, just to keep Halvah company in the recliner as she tolerated the cone for yet another day.

In my poster review, I pondered whether it would someday be considered an overlooked classic.  Nope.  Greg covered many of its weaknesses.  I'll just add a couple more.  Cage's voice-over is very flat and grows tedious.  I'm not blaming him entirely; it seemed an unfortunate script choice, and heavy-handed.  The scenes also played flat, paint-by-number, predictable.  The characters as well.  Everything about this movie felt like cardboard.  Was it underbudgeted?  Though I don't think throwing money at it could have saved it.

Great concept, great poster, but in execution just an empty cardboard box.

"Guns don't kill movies; bad scripts do." --Confucius
I'm nobody's pony.
nice thread necromancy.  serious ttt here.  bravo!

this forum thang is old.  it's vintage.
Shadow boxing the apocalypse