Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I always expect to see your names in one of these...
Man uses Sword to Fight Off Burglars
"Shortly after Minneapolis police arrived, they were called by doctors at HCMC about the arrival of three people to the ER with severed fingers and lacerations."
[Image: magpie13.gif]
Above the article, there's a bulletin that reads:
"Severe Thunderstorm Watch Has Been Issued."
Not certain how long it will be there.

Anyway, I misread it as "Severed."

"When you start chopping off cloud fingers with your sword, you've gone against the Tao."
--cranefly
I'm nobody's pony.
but here's one for the PPFY

Renaissance Man
A retired San Jose State University professor's diverse interests have resulted in a colorful life and an array of books
By MICHELLE MAGHRIBI

Quote:San Jose State University professor emeritus and local author William Gaugler, 74, has dedicated a lifetime to solving historical mysteries and along the way has himself become one of our area's hidden treasures.

Gaugler's passion for history and art, including the sport of fencing, began at an early age, setting the course for what many would regard as ambitious childhood dreams.

"At the age of 6, I asked my father to take me to the Detroit Institute of Art so that I could see actual works of art," Gaugler remembers. "In the museum I took special interest in ancient Greek Sculpture, Italian Renaissance paintings and a full length portrait of a fencing master. Moreover, I determined that I would study art, learn to draw and paint, become a swordsman and visit Greece and Italy. In retrospect it is genuinely astonishing that, in fact, I eventually realized these childhood dreams."

This modern Renaissance man was born in Highland Park, Mich., during the Great Depression. His parents emigrated from Germany, eventually making their home in Detroit. He went on to earn degrees from the College for Creative studies in Detroit, Roosevelt University in Chicago, and finally his doctorate from the University of Florence, Italy.

In the process, he fell in love with his wife Gladys and with fencing. He is an honorary member of the Italian Fencing Masters Association and the Accademia Nazionale di Schermain Naples.

He is credited with launching San Jose State University's prestigious fencing masters program.

After living in Chicago, Los Angeles, Geneva, Cannes, Beausoleil, Florence, and Frankfurt-am-Main, Gaugler moved to the Bay Area in 1969 to take a teaching appointment at SJSU, taking up residence in Sunnyvale in 1976.

At SJSU, he taught classical art and archaeology and was the associate chairman for the history of art, retiring in 1996. He believes, "Education is optimism based on the notion there can be change."

In keeping with a childhood promise he'd made to himself, Gaugler first studied fencing in Los Angeles under world-renowned fencer Maestro Aldo Nadi.

Gaugler was instrumental in getting Nadi's autobiography, "The Living Sword," published in 1995, nearly three decades after Nadi's death. He wrote both the introduction and afterword to Nadi's book.

According to Gaugler, he met Nadi in 1956, after telephoning to inquire whether the maestro was taking new students.

"As the telephone rang, I thought about how my interest in studying with the maestro had been prompted by his book "On Fencing," which I had read in 1943. My reverie was interrupted by a voice with a marked British accent. It was Aldo Nadi." Gaugler wrote in his forward, "When I explained the purpose of my call there was a pause, and then, with a note of sarcasm, he asked, 'And do you plan to leave for Alaska in three weeks?' "

Somewhat puzzled Gaugler told the maestro he intended to remain in Los Angeles for some time.

According to Gaugler, Nadi replied, "Good, then perhaps you will be around long enough to learn at least the fundamentals."

Gaugler learned more than the fundamentals of fencing; in 2005 he was selected as one of only four fencing masters out of approximately 400 nationally to be come an honorary member of the Accademia Nationale di Scherma in Naples.

According to Gaugler, the others who share this great honor include the presidents of the Italian Fencing Masters Association, The Italian Fencing Federation (Olympic Organization) and the past president of the Italian and International Fencing Masters Association.

"It is a very rare and great honor, especially for a non-Italian, to be included in the membership of the oldest and most elite organization of its kind in Europe," Gaugler said.

While working and studying in Europe, Gaugler received the prestigious diploma of Fencing Master (Maestro di Scherma) from The Accademia Nazionale di Scherma in Naples.

He put his diploma to work and began teaching fencing privately to San Jose State University students in 1969.

In 1979, supported by the chairman of SJSU's Department of Military Science, Col. Robert Elder, he founded the university's Fencing Masters Program--the only one of its kind in the United States--based on the classical Italian system used by the Military Fencing Masters School in Rome.

"While I retired as director of the program in 2004, the program has continued to exist for 27 years and has produced generations of fencing teachers, including members of the United States Olympic Fencing teams," Gaugler said.

The program is currently sponsored by the Department of Theatre Arts and Aerospace Studies (Air Force ROTC).

The current director of the program, Maestro Ralph Sahm, speaks highly of his former art and fencing professor, noting that while many admire Gaugler for his talents as a professor, his knowledge, dedication and support of his pupils are what make him exceptional.

"He is a major historian on fencing who gave these fascinating lectures.

"No one could ever come close to what he did with the lectures; it was always something different. He made it interesting," Sahm said. "I've been in the class almost since it started and he was very special. It was a great loss when he retired."

Former student and San Jose State University faculty member Maestra Janine Monteleone Sahm was one of the first women to graduate from the Fencing Masters Program under the Gaugler's direction. She appreciates her former teacher's lust for life.

"Almost no one has lived the kind of life Maestro Gaugler has," Sahm said. "His background as an etruscologist is invaluable. While I am not a person who is all that jazzed about history, when you see someone like Maestro Gaugler who has a passion for it, it gets me excited--you kind of catch (the fever)."

In addition to catching Gaugler's enthusiasm, Sahm also credits him as an inspiration. "He expected nothing but the highest standard for me in combination with always being positive," Sahm said. "If that component wasn't there, I probably would not have finished the program. His belief in me helped build my confidence."

While teaching, Gaugler also continued to pursue his passion for archaeology and antiquity and became an expert on the elusive ancient tomb of the famous Etruscan King, Lars Porsenna. The Porsenna tomb, believed to be the largest monument in antiquity--even exceeding the height of the great pyramid of Khufu (Cheops) in Egypt--has never been found and is considered to be one of the greatest mysteries of all time. Gaugler published The Tomb of Lars Porsenna at Clusium in 2002 and it is the only book offering scientific proof for the suspected location of the tomb in the modern-day city of Chiusi, Italy, in the heart of Tuscany.

Gaugler's passion for the subject and penchant for storytelling sweeps the reader up into a mythological and historical journey.

In his book, Gaugler concludes the Etruscans could have erected a tomb of large proportions thought to be more than 600 Roman feet tall, 300 Roman feet wide and weighing approximately 800,000 metric tons, out of materials that include travertine, wood, and bronze.

Gaugler, along with colleagues Drs. William J. Venuti and Peter A. J. Englert, determined through scientific analysis that included aerial photography, soil analysis and topographical considerations, that theprobable location of the ancient monument is on Monte Martinella (Mountain of the Bells).

Gaugler believes any investigation should be non-invasive. "In my research work, I believe in non-destructive analysis," Gaugler said. Instead he prefers to use scientific instruments to locate structures and objects, with proper funding to guarantee protection of the site and preservation of the materials located during excavation.
http://www.svcn.com/cupertino_courier/cover1.shtml
Shadow boxing the apocalypse
Good old Gaugs. "His" Olympic fencers ('Stro's fencers) generally refer to his methods as "sickness". Never have I seen someone defend their limitations so fiercely. So much time and effort being put into something that never really existed the way he says/teaches fencing. Empty, uncomfortable motion, talk of "real duels" and "real swordfights" from people who haven't been in a real fight in their lives, except for getting beaten up in school.. The more like a real fight it is, the more they get upset and start squawking about "bad form" and "oh, you would never do that in a real fight!".

Show me your kung-fu, asshole, or shut up.
In the Tudor Period, Fencing Masters were classified in the Vagrancy Laws along with Actors, Gypsys, Vagabonds, Sturdy Rogues, and the owners of performing bears.
Why do the Italians drop laurels on him? I'd love to see a translation of any article from Italy describing his methods, positive or negative. What do they really think?

I just don't understand it.
I think the Italians give props to anyone who still fences with what 'Stro so lovingly called "the ashtray".

But still, the Italians gave us lasagna. And Sophia Loren. Italy is ok with me.
I think there's something more sinister, if you will, going on. I think money changed hands to get the Italians to buy in. How else do you explain their sanction of a group of Americans who fence so pitifully? Or, is it a strategy they've pursued knowingly, in the hopes that The Sickness would so pervade American fencing as to render it hopelessly behind internationally? This all started, remember, at a time when the USFA was working to get more members (which they accomplished) and there was a large influx of ex-Soviet bloc coaches migrating to the states.

Perfidy or Strategy? Could be either, couldn't it?
http://www.nypost.com/seven/11302006/new...t_dees.htm
I'm nobody's pony.
Quote:Sword fight ensues after break-in at Hilton Head Island, South Carolina

HILTON HEAD ISLAND, S.C. (AP) — A man toting a 3-foot sword apparently met his match when he broke into his ex-girlfriend’s apartment: The woman’s roommate grabbed a sword of his own and sliced the intruder, police said.

The roommate, a sword collector, fended off the ex-boyfriend, who was cut on the arm, police said.

Elvis Javier Polanco, 18, was treated at a hospital and charged with burglary and aggravated assault, Beaufort County sheriff’s Capt. Toby McSwain said. He said Polanco broke a window and climbed on his friend’s shoulders to get into the apartment.

The roommate, Louis Delgado Hernandez, disarmed the intruder while the woman called police, McSwain said.
http://www.herald-dispatch.com/apps/pbcs...0770302018
i don't think either was ppfy. maybe tg?
http://www.mlive.com/news/ann-arbor/inde...ested.html
http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/crime/2....dead.kcra
Confusedmt065
Drunk Monk Wrote:i don't think either was ppfy. maybe tg?
http://www.mlive.com/news/ann-arbor/inde...ested.html
http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/crime/2....dead.kcra
Confusedmt065

Wasn't me. I'd go for an Avenger's umbrella sword, or a cane sword if I had one.

I was waiting for the witness to say that the guy was yelling "There can only be one!"

--tg
It's a world-wide phenomenon:

[youtube]OCLsR4a62oM[/youtube]

--tg
Quote:Charges Filed in Swordfight Incident
By Amber Stearns
4/9/2009

Indianapolis Metro Police say a 77-year-old woman who tried to break up a sword fight between her grandson and brother-in-law died of the stab wounds she sustained.

Franziska Stegbauer was attempting to break up the fight between 69-year-old Adolf Stegbauer and 39-year-old Chris Rondeau in the 5200 block of North Raceway early Thursday morning.

IMPD Sgt. Matt Mount says officials will wait for further tests to determine who delivered the fatal blow to the woman before making any arrests on murder charges.

Rondeau has been arrested for attempted murder for the wounds he inflicted upon Adolf Stegbauer. Adolf remains in critical condition.

Rondeau is being treated at Wishard Hospital in police custody.

http://www.wibc.com/news/Story.aspx?ID=1080767
Dammit. My customer base is shrinking.
In the Tudor Period, Fencing Masters were classified in the Vagrancy Laws along with Actors, Gypsys, Vagabonds, Sturdy Rogues, and the owners of performing bears.
...although it sounds more like my customer base. It was a gunto versus what? An Italian foil?

Quote:Woman dies after intervening in sword fight
By Kevin O'Neal
Posted: April 9, 2009

A Northwestside fight involving a sword early this morning left three people stabbed, one of them dead and one under arrest for attempted murder.

Christopher O. Rondeau, 39, is being held on preliminary murder charges at the medical holding facility at Wishard Memorial Hospital. He was arrested by the Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department after a fight at 5259 N. Raceway Rd. Rondeau was in stable condition.

The fight was reported about 1 a.m. today. Rondeau and Adolf Stegbauer, 69, both of Indianapolis, were “actively involved in a sword fight,” IMPD spokesman Sgt. Matt Mount said in a statement. One man used what police described as a World War II Japanese officer’s sword and another had a thin blade sword, although investigators were not immediately certain which weapon was used by which man.

Preliminary reports from police said that Franziska Stegbauer, 77, Indianapolis, tried to break up the fight and was fatally stabbed. Police found all three victims inside the residence on Raceway Road when they arrived early this morning.

An autopsy performed today has determined that a stab wound from a sword was the cause of death.

Adolf Stegbauer was taken to surgery at Wishard, and was reported in serious condition this afternoon.

Police said Rondeau was Franziska Stegbauer’s grandson.

Police do not know how the fight started or who stabbed Stegbauer, Mount said.
http://www.indystar.com/article/20090409...0/SPORTS19