Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TV Kinda rocks now
I downloaded a few screeners of upcoming TV shows. Here's my pirate reviews (insert 'Argghs' as needed). Spoilers ahead - wear protective clothing:

"Traveler": Three pretty-boy grad students embark on a 60 day road trip across America. They get about 6 blocks when one volunteers to videotape the other two rollerblade throught a New York art museum.

They escape unscathed, he calls the and says "I'm Sorry" and the museum blows to smithereens.

Everyone is now after the two 'terrorists' that fled the scene and plot twists go into tripletime.

That's the first 15 minutes of the pilot.

Very well acted paranoia gone wild thriller. Rich kid and poor kid being chased by the FBI and unknown forces. Also being aided by unknown forces. You can't have too many unknown forces in a political action thriller drama thingy.

"Heroes":

Sort of an X-Men meets M Night Shamalymanan. 5 individuals from diverse backgrounds discover they have superhuman powers.

- An indestructible high-school cheerleader
- A slacker who can fly
- A tortured artist that can paint the future
- A Japanese business man with a Star Trek fixation that can teleport and stop time
- A Las Vegas stripper that can.. well, we're not sure but she's badass.

Once again, well acted, well written and follows each thread leaving you hanging. The final "To be continued..." from the pilot was painful.

I have another one called "Jericho" about a post-apocalyptic future that looks intriguing.

Anyway, I think we are heading into a new 'golden age' of television. Taking their cue from cutting-edge drama sereies on cable channels, broadcast networks are buying into gritty, edgy series that challenge the viewer instead of pandering to them.

Hollywood has some catching up to do.
[Image: magpie13.gif]
One thing I think is kind of revolutionary is that NBC is allowing Netflix to rent out some their new shows before they air. The one I know of for sure is "Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip" It's by Aaron Sorkin and Tomme Schlamme. With a name like Schlamme, it's got to be good.

Yes, we are stepping into that whole grey area of what drives what. It used to be television shows would spawn DVD sales. Now, it looks they are going to use DVD's to make TV shows hits.

Cool, if you are into that kind of thing.
So much for the flickr badge idea. Dammit
I confess. I'm addicted to Heroes. That and the Office are my only tv outside PBS.kids and the news.
Shadow boxing the apocalypse
Heroes rocks. The Queen and I almost got into a fight last night because Heroes was airing opposite a Chicago Bears football game. Don't get between the Queen and her Bears. But a mediocre Arizona was handing the Bears a whooping. she couldn't watch. We got to see Heroes and Studio 60, another enjoyable show, but it needs somewhere to go.

We checked in on the Bears, just as Arizona came up with an interception. The Queen called it a night in dismay. We slept. The Bears won 24-23. OOps.
I am a bad, bad, bad, bad fan, and dserve to be spanked. (Oh, stop!) I will never ever again give up and go to bed just because we're down 20-0 and appear to have no offense. As they proved umpteen times last season, it clearly doesn't matter whether or not we have a quarterback, our defense will eventually score when our offense can't. I can't let myself get fooled by there being only 4 minutes left on the clock and being two touchdowns down. Eek

That said, I'm glad we didn't have to miss Heroes or Studio 60; I really like both those shows. Heroes and Lost have been making me a little nuts with their very teeny tiny snippets of stories, teeny tiny crossovers into other peoples stories all leading up to the one big shocking ending that's guaranteed to keep you coming back next week. Same technique as the afternoon soaps (as I recall from my college days addiction to DooL).

Anyway, I'm guessing Heroes and Studio 60 will be in reruns by December 11th, the next time the Bears play a Monday night game, so hopefully that won't be a problem.
Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.
DVR, peeple, DVR. Step into the early 21st Century...!

The series that got my attention was "Life on Mars", sort of "Quinn Martin Production meets The Singing Detective in the streets of 1973 Manchester".

It's on BBC America, but I'm sure that it is out on dvd.

Oh, yeah, The Venture Brothers season II. Rocks.

PPFY
In the Tudor Period, Fencing Masters were classified in the Vagrancy Laws along with Actors, Gypsys, Vagabonds, Sturdy Rogues, and the owners of performing bears.
We were watching/enjoying Life on Mars until it stopped having anything to do with how or why he got to the '70s and just became a '70s police procedural. I think we saw about 5 or 6 of them -- did they ever actually get to him finding out any sort of a clue as to whether he was in a coma and dreaming the whole thing or had actually time-traveled or what?

And what's with this get-with-the-21st-century thing? You with your new super Mac computer that has the G-man all befuddled and jealous? Are you SURE you're the Yeti we knew and loved???
Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.
Quote:You must spank her well. And after you have spanked her, you may deal with her as you like. And then, spank me.

Haven't had the chance to tune into Lost this season. I wasn't hooked to it ever. It was too derivative of the style of Alias and Abrams obviously dumped the last season of Alias completely to focus on Lost. Made for a totally lame conclusion, and I could just see him doing the same thing with Lost when the time comes. Why Abrams dropped Garner for Terry O'Quinn, I'll never understand.
Abrams didn't have much to do with last season of Lost as he was off ministering to the Scientologist on MI:3. But the show did not suffer. It did lose some of it's more weird aspects (The smoke creature and the polar bears and the giant thing!!!) but it's stories were all tight. Every thing hangs together in a very precise manner.

As for my problems with Alias, I live in the city where most of Alias's world wide jaunts took place. This week she's in Spain but my god doesn't that look like the Pasedan Civic Center? The verisimillitude never quite kicked in. (It's a problem I have with a lot of shows, but for some reason it was quite egregious in Alias. Kind of like Steve Austins around world trips that never left Studio City)

No spanking for TQ. Not even for HD video. Too many back problems at the moment.
I went out of my way to watch Lost last night. It didn't grab me. There was even a psychedelic trip of Terry's and your silly polar bear and it still didn't grab me.

Stayed tuned for the Nine. I liked the PTSD concept for about ten minutes. After that, I realized it was going to take all season to figure out what happened in that bank robbery and in the end, I didn't really care. I made it to the second commercial break before bailing out into some Spanish soap opera.
Life on Mars: When it is in story arc, it is really good, when it is doing a one-off, it is still entertaining. He is definitely in a coma, now he is trying to find out what he needs to accomplish to wake up. Some good paranoia towards the end. If it doesn't wrap up in season II, though, I'm out.

PPFY
In the Tudor Period, Fencing Masters were classified in the Vagrancy Laws along with Actors, Gypsys, Vagabonds, Sturdy Rogues, and the owners of performing bears.
the polar bear is hurley. he's some kind of lycanthrope. think about it....
I'm pretty sure that the polar bear must have been the previous resident of Sawyer's cage. Wonder if that means that when Sawyer escapes, he'll feel the need to go chow down on Mr. Echo.

Hope not.
Just go watch it, before you are too far behind. I hope you all sat for three hours last night and watched episoded 2-4. And no, I don't want to buy a frickin car, thank you very much.

It's the problem with Lost. If you've been watching since day one, no problem. But how do you explain the show to catch people up. I guess you just have to buy them sets of the DVD's. Sigh.

Anyway. Heroes. Go watch it. I'm not joking around.
...and Jessalyn Gilsig as Claire's mom?

Ok, I admit I have no idea who Jessalyn Gilsig is - had to search the net for that one. But still, Sulu? There is life after Stern.