Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ocean's 8
The big heist movie now with more estrogen.

The Ocean's movies got progressively weaker, although the sets in Oceans 13 were terrific.

But Ocean's 8 doesn't even rise to the level of the mediocrity of 13. It has a great cast, but I spent a lot of time asking why they did they do that when there are more simpler ways to accomplish the same thing. It tried to be cool and failed. The sound track was thumping but the cast seemed mired in ennui. It never really clicked. 

And the denouement wasn't all that clever.
As a matter of fact, my anger does keep me warm

I rather enjoyed it, mostly for the gender swap. I disliked the Ocean’s franchise overall. It was such a silly good ol boys show, kinda like Expendables without explosions and I’m no Clooney fan. It was fun to see the ladies take the concept for a spin and Anne was hysterical. The plot was silly but all this plots are dumb heists. It’s really about these stars getting together, dressing sharply and vamping it up. That’s the whole franchise and it works better for me with hot women then dapper men. I liked all the cameos, especially the older actresses fencing the goods in the end.

My biggest issues was Qin Shaobo, who again does the real heavy lifting in the heist as the amazing Uen (that’s right - he doesn’t even get a full name but then neither does awkwafina). Yen again gets no lines and little face.
Shadow boxing the apocalypse
I thought this was better than the men's outings, all of which were weak compared to the Rat Pack original (especially regarding the ending in the original). Bullock was fine, but it's not one of her standouts, and she didn't get to use her comedy chops. Carter and Hathaway were both amusing, but no one else got much character development or screen time. The plot was of course preposterous, and the surprise second heist even more so, but that's par for the course.
the hands that guide me are invisible
Ha. Looks like we agree, more or less, KB. We aren't set fetishists like Greg. 

Honestly, I barely remember this film now... There weren't any sword fights, were there?
Shadow boxing the apocalypse