Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Indiana Rocks
I'm in Indiana visiting family right now. I grew up here, but long ago
lost touch with what it means to be a Hoosier. This is turning out to
be a major refresher course.

For one, while the state is often last (or next to last) in job creation and wages and education, I've just learned that it stands at the top of the US Terrorism Target List. With 8,591 targets, it has 50 percent more vulnerable sites than New York and twice as many as California.

Among the potential bulls-eyes are Amish Country Popcorn, which has five employees and is located way out in the country away from everything.

Hoosiers are not only masters of fearmongering, they peddle patriotism like it's going out of style. In particular, the State legislature just passed a law making it legal to set off fireworks anywhere in the state from 8 pm to midnight every day of the year.

Of course, some people complained, including my younger brother Greg, who wrote a letter to the news station, and it appeared on TV a couple times. Nor was he the only person fed up with next-door pyrotechnics. The response has been one of uniform outrage at such unrestrained racket. One person even suggested that people who like loud noises should join the army.

Now the legislators are changing their tune, realizing they pushed the patriotism button a bit hard, and the law may soon change back to one celebratory day a year.

Second-guessing the general populace is such a difficult job for true politicians. I wish them the best in figuring it out.

--cranefly
I'm nobody's pony.