Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The official DOOM octopus thread
I am compelled to post this here. 

Quote:Giving Ecstasy to Octopuses Taught Researchers Something Important About the Brain
The drug prompted social behavior
Jamie Ducharme

A new study suggests that humans might have more in common with octopuses than it appears: they both respond to at least one psychoactive drug in a similar, sociable way.
Scientists from Johns Hopkins University and the Marine Biological Laboratory on Cape Cod found that, just like humans, notoriously reserved (and sometimes violent) octopuses act friendly and social when they’re exposed to MDMA, otherwise known as ecstasy or Molly. That finding, published in Current Biology, is more than just a fun party fact: It suggests that octopus and human brains are fundamentally similar in some ways, meaning that researchers could feasibly use the marine creatures to learn more about the human brain.
MDMA stokes euphoria in humans in part by increasing levels of the feel-good neurotransmitter serotonin in the brain. A close look at the octopus genome showed researchers that a protein involved in this process in humans looked very similar in the sea creatures, suggesting that “pharmacologically, we could predict MDMA should work in octopus in the way it does in humans,” study co-author Eric Edsinger, a research fellow at the Marine Biological Laboratory, said in a statement.
To test that hypothesis, the research team placed octopuses in an interconnected three-chamber tank meant to test sociability. The “social” chamber contained another octopus (sitting under an orchid pot full of holes, just in case fights broke out), while the “object” chamber contained a figurine of the Star Wars character Chewbacca. Octopuses were placed in the center chamber and allowed to roam through the setup as they pleased for 30 minutes.
Before they were dosed with MDMA, octopuses of both sexes tended to spend more time in the social chamber if the other octopus was female, but more time in the object chamber if it was male. After spending 10 minutes in a low-dose MDMA bath, however, octopuses were far more inclined to spend time with male octopuses next door, even reaching out to “hug” the pot they sat under.
The results suggest that MDMA does, indeed, spur many of the same pro-social behaviors in octopuses as it does in humans, suggesting that serotonin has been regulating social processes since humans and octopuses evolved into distinct species some 500 million years ago.
The researchers warn that the findings are preliminary and must be replicated — but they could someday open up a whole new avenue of research for scientists looking to learn more about the human brain and how it responds to substances like MDMA, the study says.
Shadow boxing the apocalypse
This is how I presented this to Lady Cranefly this morning:

CF: You know how Ecstasy makes people hug a lot?  Well, they just gave Ecstasy to a bunch of octopi and guess what happened?

LCF: [Glares at me, not bothering to attempt an answer because she knows better.]

CF: The octopi escaped from their tank, broke into a chemistry lab, and made some LSD.

LCF: [Resumes reading with a sigh.]

My goal is to educate every little neuron everywhere.
I'm nobody's pony.
They were out of octopus salad at the restaurant today at lunch.

That is all.

Carry on.
In the Tudor Period, Fencing Masters were classified in the Vagrancy Laws along with Actors, Gypsys, Vagabonds, Sturdy Rogues, and the owners of performing bears.
It really is a world in crisis.
As a matter of fact, my anger does keep me warm

(09-24-2018, 10:56 PM)Dr. Ivor Yeti Wrote: They were out of octopus salad at the restaurant today at lunch.

That is all.

Carry on.

So sorry about this.
Do you need a hug?
I'm nobody's pony.
Thank you all for your concern, but I was just contributing to the new *Official* DOOM Octopus thread.
In the Tudor Period, Fencing Masters were classified in the Vagrancy Laws along with Actors, Gypsys, Vagabonds, Sturdy Rogues, and the owners of performing bears.
Did we have an unofficial Doom Octopus Thread that I was unaware of?

How should I know? I just follow the orders of The DOOM Forum.

By the way, octopusses have blue blood.
Incredible Moment Seal Slaps Kayaker In The Face With Massive Octopus
BY : CHARLIE COCKSEDGE
269.9kSHARES
[Image: sealslap1.jpg]
taiyomasuda/Instagram

Ever got the feeling you’ve outstayed your welcome? So much so, in fact, that someone has started throwing things at you until you leave?
Me neither, I never stay anywhere long enough for that feeling to develop. I actually often don’t go to places on purpose just to make sure that doesn’t happen. You can’t outstay your welcome if you were never there.
One kayaker, however, got a pretty obvious hint from a seal that he should get out of the ocean. There’s nothing like a slap in the face to deliver a message.
As this guy found out:

Taiyo Masuda was paddling off the coast of Kaikoura, on New Zealand’s South Island, when he caught the crazy moment on his GoPro HERO7.
Floating along with a group of kayakers, the seal emerges from the ocean and flings an octopus at his mate Kyle Mulinder.
Speaking to Yahoo7, Kyle said:

Quote:We were just sitting out in the middle of the ocean and then this huge male seal appeared with an octopus and he was thrashing him about for ages.

According to Kyle, the fight between the seal and octopus disappeared beneath the water again before coming back up, with the seal whipping the octopus right into his face.
He added:

Quote:He thrashed it in mid fight and my face happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.
I was like ‘mate, what just happened?’ It was weird because it happened so fast but I could feel all the hard parts of the octopus on my face like ‘dum dum dum’.

After the slap, however, the fight wasn’t over, as the octopus attached itself to Kyle’s kayak, and he could only get it off with the help of the others around him.

Incredible Animal Encounters Caught On Camera

Though this seal is obviously taking his anger out on the octopus and kayaker, one seal in the US has been spotted putting that energy to good use, and training with the Navy.
War Office Productions uploaded an extremely adorable video to their Instagram page, with the caption ‘Show ‘em how it’s done.’
The footage shows a band of tough US Navy officers taking part in a gruelling military exercise, running towards to the cold, grey sea.
However, flipping and flopping alongside them is an excitable little seal, who could not be happier to be joining in with the exercise.
Check it out:

Seal Joins In Military Exercise

It is perhaps unsurprising this seal wanted to get in on the action. Much like dogs, these creatures are known to be highly intelligent, with an inquisitive nature.
As Countryfile have explained:

Quote:Wild seals are very intelligent, curious and have good coordination, learning tricks easily in captivity.
They are highly curious and instinctively protective – there was even a case reported of a seal coming to the rescue of a drowning dog.

There have also been reports of seals getting rather friendly with snorkelers, so don’t let the octopus fight fool you, these creatures have a soft side too.
This thread has legs, er, *tentacles*, I tells ya!
For all of September I have been doing one pen-and-ink drawing a day. 

Needless to say, the results have been mixed, with inspiration waning in the late-going.

Nonetheless, I persist, ever more striving to refine my technique and depict a Proustian subtlety of details and sensations.

With that in mind, I give you the 9-28-2018 entry:

Yeti, undergoing mild malaise upon learning there is no octopus salad (woman added to illustrate normal reaction)

[Image: pen%20and%20ink%202018-09-28_4web.jpg?raw=1]
I'm nobody's pony.
(09-26-2018, 11:28 PM)Dr. Ivor Yeti Wrote: This thread has legs, er, *tentacles*, I tells ya!

Why yes it does!

Quote:Huge Cluster of Octopuses Observed Southwest of Monterey
Muna Danish
LISTEN
1 min

[Image: cam1_20181023220412_edited-520x293.jpg]Octopuses observed at the Davidson Seamount, an ocean habitat about 80 miles to the southwest of Monterey.  (Ocean Exploration Trust/NOAA)
It was at the very end of a 35-hour expedition on Tuesday when scientists spotted the octopuses — more than a thousand of them — in a previously unexplored rocky habitat near the Davidson Seamount, an ocean habitat about 80 miles southwest of Monterey.
PHOTOS: Robots to Go 12,000 Feet Under the Ocean to Study Underwater Mountain
[Image: RS33333_IMG_6743-qut.jpg]
Marine scientists embarked on a 10-day research expedition to a previously unexplored part of the Monterey Bay National Marine Sanctuary with the help of two remote-controlled robots.
They were found in "brooding" positions, with their arms inverted as they covered their eggs, which they cemented to rocks approximately 10,000 feet below the ocean surface.
It was the first time scientists have found this type of cluster on the West Coast, and only the second time they have ever been observed. The previous sighting was a much smaller cluster near Costa Rica.
"This has never been discovered on the West Coast of the U.S., never in our sanctuary and never in the world with these numbers," said Chad King, a lead scientist on the Nautilus exploration vessel.
He said the Nautilus, a 211-foot research boat with a team from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration and the nonprofit Ocean Exploration Trust, initially set out to explore coral and sponge fields.
“I’ve never in my career come across something like this, where these could potentially be nursery habitats, and another extremely important reason why we need to protect this area,” King said.

The Davidson Seamount was added to the Monterey Bay National Marine Sanctuary in 2008, but King says many deep-sea habitats like this still need protection.
There are several possible reasons why the octopuses might have chosen this area for brooding. King said it could be the warmer water, the higher oxygen content, a specific mineral in the water or the fact that they were gathered in fluid seeps, which are warmer pockets of seawater.
“It’s quite possible they’re just using those areas because they have the cleanest rock,” he said.
The species was identified as Muusoctopus robustus, a small deep-water ocotpus lacking an ink sac.
[img=713x0]https://ww2.kqed.org/news/wp-content/uploads/sites/10/2018/10/cam1_20181023220340_edited-800x450.jpg[/img]Octopuses observed at the Davidson Seamount, an ocean habitat about 80 miles to the southwest of Monterey. (Ocean Exploration Trust/NOAA)
King says they can't revisit the site right away because of a technical problem with their vehicle.
The Monterey Bay Aquarium Research Institute regularly conducts deep-sea research, but King says the last time they were in the Davidson Seamount area was 12 years ago.
“We really don't know much about the deep sea — we’ve seen less than 1 percent of the world’s deep ocean bottoms. On any particular dive you could be shocked by something,” he said.
He hopes the discovery will lead to more funding for research to go back and understand whether the site is actually a nursery.
“If it is, that’s important because it will sustain their population,” he said.
Quote:Watch: Vlogger ‘Attacked’ By Octopus After She Tries to Eat It Alive
BY GENEVIEVE SCARANO 05.09.2019 :: 4:05PM EDT

[img=700x0]https://www.geek.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/ellehughes_unsplash_octopus-625x352.jpg[/img]
(Photo Credit: Elle Huges / Unsplash)

An octopus got sweet eight-legged revenge on a vlogger who tried to eat it alive — live on camera.
The live streamer known as “seaside girl Little Seven” loves to eat seafood and shares videos on Kuaishou, a Chinese platform, The New York Post reported. However, her attempt to eat this squirmy cephalopod went horribly wrong when it decided to latch onto her face and stay there.

Video footage shows the woman smiling as she’s about to devour the octopus. But, the octopus pulled an Arya Stark, said “not today,” and attached its tentacles to her skin. As she tries to remove the creature, it manages to grasp onto her eye, and clearly, this octopus was not going to have a lunch or dinner fate. The woman was struggling to set herself free, and cried in agony in the process.
After a bloody showdown with the eight-legged animal, she said, “I’ll eat it in the next video,” according to Metro. Once she removed the octopus, it left a slight cut on her cheek, which she pointed out in the clip.
Social media users were amused and said she deserved the mini-attack: “She deserves it,” one social media user wrote. “She tried to eat the octopus and the octopus tried to eat her too.” Another user commented, “An eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth.
Saw that clip. She had it coming.

Millennial hentai