Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Memories...
[taken from the "Gene's Dad" thread]

What's your oldest memory?

PPFY
In the Tudor Period, Fencing Masters were classified in the Vagrancy Laws along with Actors, Gypsys, Vagabonds, Sturdy Rogues, and the owners of performing bears.
Well, as I said, I can't remember much before I was four. But I remember taking a bath in the kitchen sink with my brother. We had a two side sink, and one of us was on each side. We splashed and laughed. For a long time I wasn't sure this really happened, until my mom showed me a photo of it. I think this was before I learned to talk because there are no words associated with it at all.
the hands that guide me are invisible
I do have a memory of being in the hospital for a hernia operation. This is when I was 5. Back then, kids had to stay alone in hospitals; no parents were allowed to stay overnight. There was this huge mural of Peter Pan and Capt. Hook - yes, yes, a pirate - painted on the wall. When they turned out the lights, the streetlight shone on Hook. I have a very clear memory of looking at Hook in the middle of the night, illuminated from a streetlight below (must have been an upper floor). He is grinning and lunging with a sword. It's not frightening - in fact I don't remember being frightened - it's just surreal. I often cite it as my motivation for getting into swords. After all, there must have been some motivation for that deviation and I've never been comfortable with the Freudian interpretation. Now that I think of it, perhaps there's some latent pirate issues there too.

Now, as an adult, I love Hook, especially since he's played by Wendy's father in the Disney version. Talk about Freudian issues. A few years back, we went to Disneyland, and Tara got a great pic with Hook. We let her pick out one souvenier - she choose a pirate sword - ans she proudly showed it to Hook. That's my girl.
Shadow boxing the apocalypse
I'm four years old, in the tub, and Mom is saying, "Pee! Just pee anywhere!"
It seems that I had stopped peeing, for whatever reason. My mom called the doctor, who recommended putting me in warm water. That didn't work, and eventually my parents had to take me into the hospital to get pumped out.

I remember the urgency and desperation in my mom's voice. It startled me to see her -- the person I depended on most -- in a panicked state.

As for getting pumped out, I have no memory of that.

Did these events mark me in any way? Well, nowadays, if anyone tells me to pee, I do so on the spot without hesitation.
As for the pumping out, I'm not certain what they used, but I suspect it contributed to my 14 inches.

--cranefly
I'm nobody's pony.
PEE! :toimonster:
My keyboard just shorted out.

P.S. Nice icon.
I'm nobody's pony.
I definately remember being in a crib. I remeber the cabinets on the walls that held my diapers. I remeber my mom cooing over me.

I also remember DM practcing his 'thoughtful' chin-holding pose at D&D games and telling us he was copying Mr. Spock from 'Star Trek'.

Trust me DOOM brethren. Memory is our greatest enemy. Would 'Episode 1' have sucked so bad if you had never seen 'Episode IV'? I think not.

Let us dwell on this no further as it makes me think on birthdays where Evel Kneivel Stunt Bikes were not received.
[Image: magpie13.gif]
... It was I who was cooing over you in the crib. You played D&D with your mom.

That Spock thing so worked. I still get the occasional tripper patient who thinks I'm Spock and can mind meld them down. I've even been successful at that once. Being Spock was better than trying to be Peter Gabriel in a lipsync contest. Tongue
Hey!

Let's not bring up the Peter Gabriel thing unless you want me to break out the Siaters of Mercy pictures...Uhh...we DID take pictures, didn't we?
[Image: magpie13.gif]
I was way too busy snapping my fingers and cowering behind dark glasses. Yes, those were troubled times, but the memory of you hosing everyone with that aerosol can at the end was priceless. Was that something off Radio Kaos? I can't remember....
I seem to back up memories according to whereI lived at the time.

In the sixties it was Massachusetts and New Hampshire. Thanks to my sister and cousin for holding up that pillow and telling me to jump into it. Yes, they dropped the pillow and I have scar under my lip. I even remember the the doctor sewing me up. I got hurt a lot when my parents left. I bit through my tongue twice during mad dashes around the house.

One of the earliest has to be my parents dropping off at scary Aunt Peg's house. She lived in this dank walk up apartment in Cambridge. She was probably a lovely woman with a delightful pad, but all I can remember is terror.

The seventies was Saratoga. Those memories are easy to come up with. The eighties was college blur. Did I spend the entire eighties in college? Don't answer.

The nineties until now is Los Angeles. These memories I have to write down because they are starting to fade and the book is going to be worse without them. Have I mentioned Jerry Weintraub and his Grey Goose filled golf cart?
So much for the flickr badge idea. Dammit
Oldest memory: Swimming in Lake Washington (first time actually swimming and not wading). We were living on Mercer Island at the time, so it must have been around '68 or '69. I was exhillerated and terrified that I couldn't find the ground with my feet.

PPFY
In the Tudor Period, Fencing Masters were classified in the Vagrancy Laws along with Actors, Gypsys, Vagabonds, Sturdy Rogues, and the owners of performing bears.