Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RIP Kate Wilhelm
Kate Wilhelm and her husband Damon Knight (who died in 2002) nurtured and shaped many of the science fiction writers working today.  Together they founded and were the core teachers of the intensive Clarion Science Fiction Writers Workshop, which runs for 6 weeks each year (I attended in 1980, Lady Cranefly in 1983). 

Kate and Damon lived in Eugene, Oregon, for their last many decades and welcomed many a young writer into their home, where they held additional workshops.  They welcomed Lucius Shepard and me into their home in 1981 until we found an apartment to rent, and were supportive during our foundering attempts to write.

They were also supportive when I moved back up to Eugene in 1987, where I lived for a year, and where I met Lady Cranefly, who worked at the University of Oregon Bookstore and was a member of a local science fiction writing workshop I joined.

Kate wrote countless novels in various genres and won various science fiction awards.  She was especially supportive of women in the field and encouraged many a young writer in a bad marriage to take control of her life and declare her independence -- as she once did in divorcing her first husband to marry Damon Knight.

Kate Wilhelm: June 8, 1928 -- March 8, 2018
I'm nobody's pony.
Sorry for your loss, CF.

Although, I've come across her name on my perusing of books, I don't think I have ever read anything she wrote with the exception of a few short stories. But on checking Wikipedia, I did notice that she has a nice long mystery series I might have to check out.
As a matter of fact, my anger does keep me warm

You had mentioned this to me earlier and again, condolences.  

This subforum has been too active this March.
Shadow boxing the apocalypse