Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All Systems Red by Martha Wells
The subtitle of this novella is the Murderbot diaries.

And I want the rest of the series now.

I was disappointed at the library when they handed me the slim tome that was All Systems Red. I immediately knew this was going to be a one sitting book. What made it go even quicker was the delightful narrator, the murderbot in question. He reminded me of Marvin from Hitchhikers Guide, but he's not so much a depressed robot as an asocial one. 

Murderbot is the security robot in charge of protecting a team exploring a distant planet. But murderbot would much rather be watching the TV show shows he has downloaded than actually interact with the team. But things go wrong and murderbot must actually provide security for the team.

It all ended much to quickly. But there are four more books coming in the series over the course of this year.

Fortunately, Ms. Wells has written a lot of other books that I will be exploring in the meantime.
As a matter of fact, my anger does keep me warm

I've read the other two Novellas and they were pretty good, although not as good as the first. The final one should be at my library any day now.

Word has it that she will be writing a Murderbot Novel in the not too distant future.

We sold a ton of Murderbot at World Con. In freakin’ *hardcover*. They’re barely more than pamphlets. Everyone loves Murderbot.
In the Tudor Period, Fencing Masters were classified in the Vagrancy Laws along with Actors, Gypsys, Vagabonds, Sturdy Rogues, and the owners of performing bears.
I got mine from the library.

Are you sure you’re not *Scottish*?
In the Tudor Period, Fencing Masters were classified in the Vagrancy Laws along with Actors, Gypsys, Vagabonds, Sturdy Rogues, and the owners of performing bears.
Them's fighting words.

Exit Strategy

And then I was done. The final chapter in the pamphlet was good. The series did seem to wander in the middle two books. But the final book had lots of good action.

Martha Wells threatened an entire Murderbot novel for 2019.

Network Effect (2020)

The novel! Yes, it was good. Yes, I am sad that I finished it in about a day.

It's a really funny take on sentient robots. Basically the SecUnit, the titular Murderbot, hates people but has a desperate need to keep his people safe. In this one, the SecUnit is kidnapped with his people to go rescue another A.I.s people. There's aliens. There's space battles. There's corporate malfeasance. There is so much going on.

I need more Murderbot now.

Just read the first one. Very enjoyable, but now I'm left hanging. I'd like to go on with it, but I don't like to read series. Maybe later.
the hands that guide me are invisible