Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oscar 2018
Hey! Guess what? The academy awards is a really long show. It helps to put it on the DVR and then start in an hour late to fast forward through the commercials.

I thought Jimmy Kimmel did a good job. Some of his bits were quite entertaining. I did especially like the awkwardness of sending the stars over to the Chinese Theater. I was amused by the Jet Ski give away complete with a trip to Lake Havasu. I usually am not a big fan of Kimmel's. He subscribes to the mean spirited form of comedy. And if you don't laugh well you just don't understand funny. But he seems to do well with the academy awards. He probably has to be on his best behavior so it's not quite as mean.

The only big surprise for me was when Jordan Peele won for best screenplay. I was thinking it should have gone to 3 Billboards. Billboards was the better of the 2 films.

I did not like Kobe winning the animation award. I would really like to see how much he had to do with making the film. It probably had something to do with him writing the check or contacting his advertisers and having them write the check. Although, have seen it so I am talking out of my ass.

The Stars Wars presenters were bad. Maybe we could leave BB-8 behind for a change?

I did like Warren Beatty's redemption at the end. I also noticed they put the category name on the outside of the envelope. I wonder what brought that about?

I was a bit sad when they announced best docs. The Queen said that could be you someday. I told her I was having the same thought, but what could be more woke than a white guy making a documentary about an obscure white guy?

I still love this show and it is appointment television for me every year. Even if I delay the start by the hour.
As a matter of fact, my anger does keep me warm

(03-01-2018, 10:47 AM)Drunk Monk Wrote: Dear Basketball - technically interesting - a love letter to basketball from Kobe.  It feels very contrived and I worry it'll win. 

I only watched the end.  I liked the Star Wars presenters - well really only Kelly Marie Tran because I follow her instagram and she was just so adorkable about it all.  But I hate BB-8.  I've always hated BB-8.  I want Mark Hamill, Gal Gadot and Margot Robbie to bring me some treats during the Wrinkle in Time screener.  

Stacy loves the Oscars and we had planned to watch them together after our pre-Oscars film binge, but there was an emergency she had to attend to so we wound up watching them separately.  I only half tuned into them on my own.  

On the whole, this year seemed woke.  That's promising.
Shadow boxing the apocalypse