Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bladerunner 2049
I'm a little surprised that this one hasn't been seen or reviewed here. I mean it's the sequel to Bladerunner, everybody's favorite. Well, almost everybody.....

But maybe you caught  a subconscious waft of dumb emanating from this cinematic experience. But come one. It's the sequel to Bladerunner.

My opinion of the original take on Bladerunner was that it was visually very stunning (I know, going out on a limb) but that there wasn't a lot of heart to it.

2049 tried for the stunning but fell short. And the story really wanted to be impactful and deep but came up dumb. And it's a slow dawning dumb. About half way through the film, I started to think about the story and my impression was that can't be where they are going. That would be dumb. And then they went where it was dumb. They tried to bandage the dumbness by saying "You've never seen a miracle" But the bandage doesn't hold against the power of the dumbness.

Visually, it had it's moments. But the director let every scene breathe way too long. Let's have Gosling just stand here for an extra beat so we can admire the emotions playing out on his face. Why walk through one cooly lit corridor when we can walk through a bunch? They did try to recreate some of the brilliant chaos of the street scenes of the original. but they came off as pale copies. Maybe this all worked better on the big screen with the big time cinema speakers pounding you into submission. Don't get me started on the love story between projected hologram AI and the robot.

For once, Harrison Ford didn't mumble his way through his part. But he didn't have a lot to do. And for the majority of the film he is just a ghost you are waiting to pop out at any time.

Clocking in at 2 hours and 35 minutes, that is a lot of dumb.
As a matter of fact, my anger does keep me warm

Another airplane movie. I didn't find it so dumb.  It reminded me 2010, the 84 sequel to 2001.  No way could it hold a candle to the original film, too groundbreaking to step out from that shadow, but the attempt was thoughtful and a decent continuation of the story.  I agree it was way too long and too self absorbed.  Those close-ups on Gosling got annoying because he was supposed to be deadpanning with tiny betrayals of emotion but just came off as bland.  I disagree about Harrison, he just mumbled his way through again.  It's weird to see him revisit these old roles, Deckard, Han, and next Indy.  I wanted more Bautista.  The hologram squeeze was too ST: Voyager for me because I've never been comfortable with the concept of sentient holograms.  Also because it was an airplane flick, the nipples and butts were digitally blurred in a blocky manner, which greatly detracted from the artful aesthetics of the film.
Shadow boxing the apocalypse