Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Space Opera
Oooh, another bulk thread.

Well, since I've burning thought these at about a book a day, I decided to combine

Vatta's War by Elizabeth Moon

Dammit. I almost did it. I keep confusing Bear with Moon. But these books are by Moon.

Vatta's War is a collection of five books that charts Ky Vatta's rise from Flight School washout to admiral that saves the galaxy. I think they might have been geared towards a YA audience, but they still were quite entertaining. Vatta's family is in commerce so there is a lot of discussion about economics and a focus on how do we keep the shipping business running that follows the action sequences. 

Moon has started on another series with Ky Vatta that I will be reading soon.

The Jason Wander Series by Robert Buettner

If you like Heinlein and military space fiction, then this for you. Again, these go down really fast. More adult than Vatta. It charts the course of Jason Wander and the first book in the series is titled Orphanage. Because being in the military is like being in an Orphanage. The book is strikingly similar to many books of this ilk where you start with our Hero entering bootcamp, being a misfit, having the tough but heart of gold Master Sergeant, and he eventually rises to the challenge. But it does do some nice world building. The action pieces are inventive. I'm just about done with book 5 and I've enjoyed them.
As a matter of fact, my anger does keep me warm