Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Electric Dreams
Do you guys like Dick? I suspect you do like Dick. You guys strike me as Dick likers. I confess that I was only exposed to Dick after Bladerunner. I only read that Electric Sheep novel. I remember liking it but that was the fashionable thing to do back in 82, read the book some movie was based on and then say how the source was better just to look smarter. Anyway ED (electric dreams, not El dingo) is based on short Dick stories. You guys like short Dick stories, right? It’s a lot like Black Mirror, only with more A list stars and a bladerunner set sensibility. It’s amazon prime. I’m about halfway through season 1 and it’s been amusing so far. Hard not to compare with BM - without the opening credits, I might be hard pressed to tell the difference. I get a bit distracted by some of the actors involved, as there’s many more recognizable faces. ED seems a little better written, but BM feels better actualized, if that makes any sense. BM might be only a few steps away in our future, while ED is hopefully more distant, like bladerunner. I guess I gotta confess - I like Dick.
Shadow boxing the apocalypse
I am curious about Dick but I've never been a big fan.

If I'm not buying into Black Mirror, I don't know the logic about watching it's lesser cousin.

I'm waiting on the Tick!
As a matter of fact, my anger does keep me warm

(02-19-2018, 03:09 PM)Greg Wrote: I am curious about Dick but I've never been a big fan.

If I'm not buying into Black Mirror, I don't know the logic about watching it's lesser cousin.

I'm waiting on the Tick!

The logic? Because you like Dick. Or at least, you’re curious.
These conundrums are not for me. Especially since Ice Dancing is on tonight.

So far, my picks for this show (season 1) are e2 Autofac & e6 Safe and Sound. E4 Crazy Diamond has to get special mention for Steve Buscemi (luv him) but the ending of that one felt rushed, as if they ran out of time and had to resolve it quickly.
I see you are really getting into Dick.

Dick is pretty entertaining.  Compared to Black Mirror, or shall we say 'BM', it has more star power and is more poetic in its story lines.  I'm crediting that to the source short stories, which are sometimes revealed in the credits of the episodes.  Dick has greater literary foreshadowing and is just more bardic.  Plus I find the whole notion of being in the Bladerunner world appealing.  BM is more existential.  Still not sure which I like better.  They kind of blend together sometimes.

You should try some Dick.  You might like it better than BM.
I’m posting this here for future reference - https://heavy.com/entertainment/2018/01/...-list/amp/. Note that these stories were mostly published in the 50s and they feel quite fresh in this series, a testament to Dicks foresight perhaps.

So Greg Kinnear as a snatched body was okay but not stellar. I’ve never been that fond of Kinnear.  The ep was freshened up by Mirelle Enos reading Hamilton in one scene, which my wife just read.  I thought I recognized Mirelle but a quick survey of her IMDb reveals that I haven't seen her in anything prior.  

Got 4 dicks left and 3 bms, then I can escape this rabbit hole.
Taking in some Dick before you go to bed?

Yep. Actually watching dick in bed. A little dick before sleep gives me interesting dreams...
Would those dreams be Electric!

FTW!

It's going to be a relief to the lot of us when you finally get your phil of dick.
I'm nobody's pony.
I don't get it.

Why is DOOM so Dickless?
I'm actually two degrees separated from Dick, will have to write about that incident someday.

And I'm very much interested in watching this series.

But I'm saving my pennies for SlingTV.

If only Netflix streaming would pick it up.

Actually, I could do a free 30-day sign-up for Amazon Prime and watch the series.  I'm thinking about it.

P.S. I've read a few Dick short stories, and also Man in the High Castle.  Should read more of him.
I'm nobody's pony.
Finally.  

Nice to see some respect for Dick here.  

srsly.