Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pinback @ Bimbo's 05/31
Delayed review. I've been busy.

I love Bimbo's.

It's my favorite place to see a show.

We usually arrive a couple hours early and dine on exquisite Indian fare at Kennedy's Irish Pub and get in line. We try to get one of the raised tables to the side of the stage. Drinks are reasonably priced (for a club), and the servers are actually pleasant.

After claiming our seats we waited for the show to start. The venue slowly filled and I noticed a distinct difference from the regular Pinback crowd. I know you have listened to my DOOM cd mixes endless times so you know Pinback is sort of a cerebral outfit focusing on counter-harmonies and syncopatic rhythms (like listening to a clock tick). The previous 2 times we've seen them the crowd was 25 - 35 years old and remained quietly engrossed in the hypnotic quality of the music.

Not this time.

There were a ton of 18 - 25 year olds chatting loudly, VERY loudly, to be heard over the music. Pinback were playing loudly and I could still barely hear them thanks to the group of youths in front of our table talking to each other WITH THEIR BACKS TO THE BAND. WTF?

One of the vocalists seemed to have a cold and wasn't at his best but I would have still loved the tick-tock keyboard melodies if the damn kids would shut the hell up!

Anyway, Pinback seems to love Bimbo's (I think they just played there again) so I plan to catch more shows, but damn! Tickets aren't cheap! So you kids stay the hell away from concerts you aren't interested in! Just because they are a 'hip' band doesn't mean you have to buy a ticket just to prove how hip you are. If you aren't into it, stay home and listen to Gnarls Barkley or whatever.

Goddam kids, stay offa my lawn!
[Image: magpie13.gif]
ED - in their songs I've heard, it sounds like the bass player is either bending the strings or detuning them. How do they get that sound? Is it a different instrument?
the hands that guide me are invisible