Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Greatest Showman
Y'all've known me for years and you know my love of musicals and divas, as well as my usual disdain for Jackman. Did this work for me? Almost. The musical numbers are excellent, particularly the choreo. Hugh is solid and should only make musicals really, and maybe burnt out superhero movies. Zac Efron kinda won me over in Baywatch - he's got a decent voice and look for this. And Zendaya I've followed since Shake it up. She is ridiculously talented as an actress, singer and dancer - check out Euphoria if you have doubts. She shines here, as does Rebecca Ferguson and Michelle Williams ain't bad either.  But it's Hugh, Zac and Zendaya that deliver the best song and dance.  Unfortunately, there are a lot of scenes that are NOT music numbers, where there's vacuous dialog and predictable bland story arcs, and they spoil the vibe. You know how I write a column 'Fast forward to the fight scenes' - this is 'fast forward to the music numbers'. 

Side note - Natasha Liu Bordizzo is in this. She was in Gong Shao Dao, Jack Ma's fantasy short film where he fought all the best martial stars except Jackie. She was the lone wushu babe and I've had my eye on her ever since - I follow her gram even. This was her big Hollywood breakout.  I totally forgot she was in it until I read the credits. She had a decent one at the end among all the other stars, but I don't think she had a line at all and didn't even see her anywhere. Maybe she had a bigger role in a PRC release? I don't care. 

It's really all about Zendaya. She has matured from a Disney ingenue into a gorgeous talent with such an insanely long neck that I can't not see.

No swordfights.  Not DOOM recommended.  There's elephants for cf, but they're cgi as is a lot of this film, and it's weak cgi on the whole.

epilogue - just saw on bordizzo's gram that she's in guns akimbo with harry potter.
Shadow boxing the apocalypse
So, why haven't you seen Rocketman, so-called Musical lover? Yes, it's a jukebox musical, but damn, I liked it.
As a matter of fact, my anger does keep me warm

I’ll get there eventually I imagine. It doesn’t have dance numbers though, does it? Or Zendaya...
Plenty of dance numbers. No, Zendaya.
As a matter of fact, my anger does keep me warm

Well alright then

But I have seen him live - http://www.brotherhoodofdoom.com/doomFor...0#pid21300

He was great in that Kingsman sequel. But you knew that.