Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Padmavat
Oh, sure, Indian films. We should embrace Bollywood where it is all singing and dancing and good clean fun.

Sure. Until the rioting breaks out.

Hindu hardliners rampaged through several Indian cities Wednesday protesting a controversial Bollywood film on the eve of its cinema debut, as violent mobs clashed with police, torched vehicles and vandalised malls.
The unrest followed a night of rioting in Prime Minister Narendra Modi's home state of Gujarat, where police fired shots in the air to disperse hundreds protesting against "Padmaavat", a film about a legendary Hindu queen.
Demonstrators claim the film falsely depicts a romance between queen Padmavati and 14th century Muslim ruler Alauddin Khilji. Producers deny this and insist they have portrayed her respectfully in the movie, which has not yet been viewed by its critics.
Police have doubled down on security around cinemas across India ahead of the film's release Thursday, rounding up Hindu hardliners.
[Image: wire-2146554-1516805304-529_634x458.jpg]
As a matter of fact, my anger does keep me warm

There are a lot of protests and riots in India. We just don't hear about them very much because Amurikka.  But if you want a true democracy with an extremely diverse population (in terms of cultures and religious beliefs), it seems inevitable.  

This film stars Deepika Padukone who I've been following since Chandni Chowk Goes to China.  Check her out in Chennai Express (netflixable & reviewed here somewhere) with the ever dreamy Shah Rukh Khan.
Shadow boxing the apocalypse
It's playing at the Towne Theater on the Alemeda near my house. No riots or protests to report.
the hands that guide me are invisible