Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Shape of Water
ET for grownups.

Lady Cranefly and I watched this last night.  I did get the distinct impression that this was an ET retread.  Ms. Paddington, the gay neighbor, the black co-worker and the Russian agent serve as the kids befriending and helping the alien.  The alien can heal when it glows, like ET's healing digit.  Though Guillermo del Toro is careful to avoid a glowing digit, instead having the glow manifest through a network of spots throughout the body -- and he goes so far as to adamantly deny any such borrowing by making two amputated fingers a big part of the movie. showing them growing ever blacker as if to say, "See?  This isn't like ET.  No glowing digits here!"

I felt the plot was weak, nor was I as impressed by the creature as a lot of people seem to have been.  Yes, it's different from The Creature creature, but only marginally so, preserving all the most implausible humanoid aspects.  True, del Toro needed to keep it humanoid enough so that it and Ms. Paddington could fuck.  But still, really.  Ms. Paddington was fully up for a lot more fins, and a big swishy tail, and slime, and long barbels with a prehensile playfulness -- like the tentacles of an octopus.  Yeah, she could have handled that and a whole lot more.

I liked the social commentary.  It seemed key to the story, the way people are quick to demonize things, and separate themselves from nature, preferring to believe that they are above animals (or humans of a different color, creed, race or religion), that they exist on a higher plane.

But where the movie really redeemed itself for me was in the characters.  They were all so distinct and quirky, and vividly alive on screen.  A lot of work went into assembling that cast, and defining those characters.  That is where the movie won me over.

Oh.  Just a quick question.  I realize (now) that fish fuckers are forbidden on DOOM.  But would amphibians be okay?
I'm nobody's pony.
(07-10-2018, 09:09 AM)cranefly Wrote: But would amphibians be okay?

NO!

reptiles maybe...

Shadow boxing the apocalypse