Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RIP Ursula K Le Guin
I remember really enjoying earthsea in high school, but now, I can’t remember a single thing about it except that the spine of the books when lined up in order formed a little fish creature. I liked that idea so much that we’ve perpetuated it with KFTC. I think there’s an anime version that I’ve never seen.
Shadow boxing the apocalypse
I met her in Powell's Books in Portland a long time ago.  She shook my hand, gave me an award.
1987, I think.  That award is in a file cabinet somewhere.
I haven't read a lot of her stuff.  The Left Hand of Darkness.  The Dispossessed.  Some short stories.  But none of Earthsea.
Maybe I should revisit her.  Any suggestions?
She was a force in the field, and in her gender.
It seems wrong -- even an insult -- for her to have passed during the current clown act.
I'm nobody's pony.
(01-23-2018, 09:37 PM)cranefly Wrote: I met her in Powell's Books in Portland a long time ago.  She shook my hand, gave me an award.
1987, I think.  That award is in a file cabinet somewhere.

CF FTW.
CF FTW x 2.

One of the writers I like posted "She was the cure for Heinlein".
In the Tudor Period, Fencing Masters were classified in the Vagrancy Laws along with Actors, Gypsys, Vagabonds, Sturdy Rogues, and the owners of performing bears.
The first Earthsea book was good (I just reread it and enjoyed it), the second two not as good. There's a thread here, where DM also mentions the spines. There were two later sequels but they have many bad reviews on Amazon and they are long; I haven't felt the need to read them. I also liked The Left Hand of Darkness, but read it maybe 30 years ago, so I don't know if it holds up. That's as far as I got. I have read that she got preachy as she got older and her fiction suffered.

She co-edited The Norton Book of Science Fiction, which got a lot of criticism because it only includes stories from 1960-1990 and deliberately downplayed technological themes. There's a good review of it on The SF Site. I think it's now out of print.
the hands that guide me are invisible
(01-24-2018, 05:00 PM)King Bob Wrote: There's a thread here, where DM also mentions the spines.  

Gotta post the hyperlink or it didn’t happen.  Tongue
I was making them work for it. You can't let them get lazy.
I just realized that I mentioned the wrong book earlier - I really read The Lathe of Heaven, the one where the guy changes the world when he dreams. I haven't seen a copy of it in years. It might be out of print.
(01-26-2018, 12:09 PM)King Bob Wrote: I was making them work for it. You can't let them get lazy.

So I repeat myself here. So what's your point? 

What's your point?

Your point?