Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Quillifer by Walter John Williams
Did you like the Flashman series by George McDonald Fraser? Then this might be the book for you.

Quillifer is the titular rogue of the title. He has a lot of the same character traits as Flashman but he's much more likable. 

The setting isn't historical but fantasy based. But it hews closely to historical-esque problems. How to run a city. How does government work. It talks a lot about guilds and the problems between the different classes of society.

And in the middle is Quillifer going from one bed to the next as he tries to find his place in the world. He's the son of the butcher, but is apprenticed to be a lawyer. His greatest strength at this point is his wit. He gets into scrapes but he would rather run away. And he is always looking for the angle that will enrich him.

It was a good fun read. It is the start of a series, but the story does conclude satisfactorily by the end of the book. And it does move along at a good clip. What I thought might be the underlying story for the series wraps up by the end of the book.
As a matter of fact, my anger does keep me warm