Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Blockbuster
(10-07-2022, 09:38 AM)Greg Wrote: Blockbuster

From the makers of Brooklyn-99. Could be funny or just tragic.

Watched e1. 10 eps @ 25 mins each
Jury is still out. It has the same tempo of dialog as B99, exacerbated by Fumero playing essentially the same character. But Park lacks the manic bombast of Samberg - he’s quite the opposite. The staff of the store is kinda funny - there’s some potential there and I did giggle at one quip. But I dunno. It didn’t quite do it for me. I may watch another ep because they’re short and I confess I’m still crushing on Fumero, but I fear her talents may be squandered here. Note that I’m not a fan of Park - I find his self deprecating roles tiresome - and that may be tainting my review here.
I suppose it’s worth a gander if you’re into B99 (but The Good Fight is a far better choice for B99 graduates).
Shadow boxing the apocalypse
Watched another episode. My first impression stands. I would give this up entirely if not for Fumero. She’s playing essentially the same character as in B99 - a holier-than-thou type that’s indignant when the tribulations of the world bring her down. 

Once again, I lol-ed at something, some offhand gag, but I can’t remember what it was.
Why did I watch another ep? I don't really like this show. Well, the eps are short. It's like B99-lite. I didn't laugh at all at this ep. Not even a giggle. Maybe a smirk. It's so derivative of the style and comic timing of B99 but it misses and I'm going to blame that on mediocre writing and a weaker cast. 

I need to find some other short ep show to watch...
Watched the first episode but then gave up.
the hands that guide me are invisible
You are wiser than me. 

I can stop any time. I just choose not to...

I can't remember now - were you into Brooklyn 99?
No, saw part of one episode and passed. The bit I saw was too over the top - trying for a kind of Airplane style thing but not hitting it. (Or am I thinking of another show entirely? It is possible.)

As for this show, I do like Randall Park, although (like a lot of TV actors) he's basically the same in every role. But he was really funny in Always Be My Maybe. And I like J.B. Smoove. If the writing was snappier....
the hands that guide me are invisible
99!

http://www.brotherhoodofdoom.com/doomFor...p?tid=5323
Almost watched another ep last night…

Quote:Netflix's Blockbuster series canceled after 1 season

The streaming giant has taken down Blockbuster once again.
ASHLEY BOUCHER
It's time to hit rewind one last time. 
Blockbuster, Netflix's comedy about the last Blockbuster store, has been canceled at the streamer after one season, EW has confirmed. The series, which starred Randall Park as store manager Timmy and Melissa Fumero as his friend and employee Eliza, never managed to crack Netflix's weekly Top 10 in the United States. 

The season ended with Timmy's home video haven ruined after a storm-induced riot. Meanwhile, Eliza finally realized her romantic feelings for Timmy, but when she was ready to tell him, he wasn't ready to hear it with his small business at risk. 
Creator Vanessa Ramos previously told EW that she was waiting to plan what happened to Timmy, Eliza, and the rest of the Blockbuster gang until finding out whether the series would be renewed or not. "Until we get a season 2, I don't let myself dream a bit," she said following season 1's November release. 
The series also starred J.B. Smoove, Olga Merediz, Tyler Alvarez, Madeleine Arthur, and Kamaia Fairburn. Had Blockbuster lived to see a second season, Ramos said she would've liked to explore more abut Merediz's quirky character, Connie. "I would love to see someone in Connie's family, like her sister that we hear about who's in a Guatemalan jail," she previously said. "Someone in Connie's world would be fun." 

The real-life last Blockbuster store is still open in Bend, Oregon

[url=https://apple.news/AOFnV8wf5RQuwb5A-0cXOzA][/url]