Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Recruit (2022)
This is the Netflix show not the one with Al Pacino. It dropped Friday night.

Owen Hendricks is a brand new recruit in the CIA legal counsel's office. Rather than take a high paying job in a top tier law firm he opted for high excitement job. He got it. Owen is assigned what looks like busy work, going through files people sent to the CIA threatening to black mail the CIA. It's mostly cranks but Owen stumbles across what could be a credible threat. His boss tasks him to investigate, much to the chagrin of people that have worked there longer. They try and sabotage him. Trouble ensues.

It is a fish out of water story. Owen is just naive enough to get in trouble but smart enough to navigate his way out of it. The first episode was quite fun as Owen find himself in waters way over his head in several situations. His solutions to the problems are poor but they are solutions.

The show also doubles as a toxic workplace comedy as we see the people Owen works with. Everybody is looking to cut down everyone else to get ahead and they have no time to explain the ropes to the newbie.

All quite fun. I will be watching more episodes.
As a matter of fact, my anger does keep me warm

Cool. I was debating sampling that last night (so many Netflix promos).
Shadow boxing the apocalypse
Agreed. Quite fun. E-& done. 
I like the angle and pacing. I’ll watch more too.
Shadow boxing the apocalypse
Rather than watch the rehash of the January 6th hearings, we saw two more episodes of this. The fun continues. The Globe trotting continues. The life threatening situations continue. Will Owen ever get any sleep or food? There were some really good revelations in Ep03 that made the story make more sense.

I keep forgetting this is a Doug Liman directed show. He did Mr and Mrs. Smith and he was horrible on set. But also did Edge of Tomorrow which I really enjoyed. After seeing him work I don't know how he turns out the films he does.

Two more episodes down. Still very enjoyable. I'm glad they have the budget to jet around the world. Or at least they fake it really well. I like it when Owen shows that he has some teeth in these fights. It's also fun to see him get overwhelmed and still triumph. Max has had some nice fights. I think the office dynamic (Life at CIA headquarters) still plays nicely.

But looking at the show, I don't know if it's going to stick the landing or we are just going to be left with a terrible cliffhanger.

I need to spend a few minutes today deciphering the show titles.

Tim is out there.

If we could have stayed up late, we probably would have finished this last night. Owen continues to be in way over his head. Everyone around continues to point this out to him. I love Not-Bob. Of course makes a horrendous decision about Max. Max continues to have the best fight scenes. I did notice that Owen is surrounded by women who bail him out. This show fails the Bechtel test spectacularly. The Queen and I have both put forward our guesses as to the origin of the blond woman in Ep 07. There are a ton of threads dangling throughout the show and I don't see how they will tie them off in the remaining hour.

Damn you, Episode 8. Of course it was a cliff hanger. Actually there was a fake cliff hanger before the real cliff hanger. MFers. It was still a good episode but I find that all the episodes have the same arc. Owen wants out. Owen goes on mission anyway. Owen gets in trouble. Owen reaches out to friends for help. Owen gets out of trouble. But Owen is really charming so it pays off. And you keep waiting for Max to do something badass, which she does. And I did guess the identity correctly.

There was more not-Bob. There was more crazed co-worker. The duplicitous co-workers continue to be sketchy. Owen does Owen things.

They better renew this show. No word at this time whether there will be a season 2.

One more thing, there is a really fun cameo from one of my favorite TV actors. Total surprise and kind of a different role.

Saw ep1.  Yes, Owen is a nice character.  Will continue to watch.
I'm nobody's pony.
Finished.

I'm left wondering how much of the depiction of the CIA is reality-based and how much imagined.  If reality-based, they must have someone on the scripting team with a past history with the CIA.  If fantasy, a rich imagination.  But much of it (what I can follow) bears the ring of authenticity.  Whatever, it's complex and fast-paced and I could easily watch another season of it.  Quite the cliff-hanger at the end.
I'm nobody's pony.
I hope the CIA isn't that dysfunctional.