Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stories of Your Life and Others by Ted Chiang
The main story (Story of Your Life) is the basis of Arrival. And it's a stunning story, blending two threads about alien contact and personal reminiscences, with a (to me) surprising twist at the end that is connected to alien language concept. It's a great story, I thought a truly stunning construction, and I don't see how you could possibly make a movie from it, unless you ignored most of it.

Another story was about a person who becomes super intelligent as a side effect from an experimental medical procedure. It went somewhere strange at the end and was also very good.

In a couple of stories he takes an alternate cosmology and does kind of a Hard SF take within that universe. One with the Tower of Babel in the Old Testament world, and one in modern times with angelic and demonic visitations happening all the time. Both were quite good.

There were two other stories that I just couldn't get interested in, but still I would call the book a winner. The guy can really write.
the hands that guide me are invisible
I saw the movie Arrival and it was dull as dirt right up until the end when the movie sort of all came together and made sense. It was a great twist. It reminded me a lot of Memento, that way.
As a matter of fact, my anger does keep me warm

Arrival = http://www.brotherhoodofdoom.com/doomFor...p?tid=3924

When I was at the last SJCC, there was a speaker who was an Astro-linguist (or some Ster Trekkie term like that) who was involved in the film somehow. A consultant maybe? We poked our head in to her talk in that. ‘What’s in here?’ way, saw her slides wilhich looked like coffee mug ring blots and left. We were just looking for cool nerd gear and didn’t want to think so hard.
Shadow boxing the apocalypse