Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Black Mirror -- Season 4
Apropros of nothing, Barnes and Noble paired a famous book to go with every episode of Black Mirror.

You can find the article here: Black Mirror Books

Who knew Barnes and Noble still existed?
As a matter of fact, my anger does keep me warm

(01-24-2018, 11:24 AM)Greg Wrote: Who knew Barnes and Noble still existed?

I did.  It's one of the few newsstands that still distribute KFTC.   Sleepy
Shadow boxing the apocalypse
(01-16-2018, 01:06 PM)cranefly Wrote: If memory serves me, some of the better ones, in descending order, were:

S3E2  Playtest

S3 done.  E1 & E4 I mentioned before.  E2 kinda freaked me out at first because I was watching it late at night, half asleep, and it started invading my dreams so I had to stop.  I came back for it when it wasn't so late, and predicted the ending more or less - it was very DePalma.  

E3 Shut up and Dance preyed upon that constant paranoia of the selfie camera on every freakin monitor now.  Stacy taped her camera over for a while after hearing some news report about surveillance (she almost never uses it) but only for a while. E5  Men against Fire totally surprised me about where it went - quite satisfying. E6 Hated in the Nation was kind of ridiculous in that dumb sci fi way, but it starred two of my fav supporting actors Benedict Wong & Kelly Macdonald, so that was cool.

Still enjoying this immensely.  Sure, it has it's flaws, but my standards for entertainment have been sullied by so many B films that I can let those go and just enjoy it for what it is.  On to S4.
(01-05-2018, 10:32 AM)cranefly Wrote: 2 Arkangel

So this pressed my parent button akin to Margrave’s attack of Nassar - a very sensitive spot for any of us breeders. But beyond that, I found it to be a predictable and mediocre episode. I was amused by the Easter egg in Sara’s room - a Tusk poster referencing an earlier Ep - s3e6 - made me ponder if all of Black Mirror happens in the same universe.
(01-05-2018, 10:32 AM)cranefly Wrote: 3 Crocodile  (this one haunts me)

A classically dark tale about digging deeper and deeper into a hole, a cold-blooded grisly hole, all for a tiny mcguffin which I saw coming.  Ironically I didn’t see any of the rest coming beforehand but the gift was such a random aside, it gave itself away. I remember a short story that was similar except the witness was a houseplant. Enjoyed the scenery in this one. Arkangel haunted me more than this but maybe that’s a parent thing. And I wouldn’t say it haunted me very much, maybe only because of recency effect. 

Just 3 more to go.
I gave the Olympics the night off (and the nightly news firehose of awful) and watched USS Callister. It was quite enjoyable. It did not go where I thought it was going to go. Even the Queen appeared interested. Don't know if we will watch anymore. Because the score is 1-1 with good and bad episodes.

Which was the other Ep you watched? If you want another enjoyable one, peep San Jacinto.
Very good.

I saw the Kristin Bell episode from last year where social media runs the world and your status is dependent on how many likes you possess.

You know what’s satisfying after watching a lot of Dick? A nice BM. S4e4 Hanf the Dj was okay. I thought I knew where it was going, then it came off track, but then sort of ended up where I thought it might. Cf says skip s4e5 but I won’t listen. Seen all the rest so why not see the final 2?
Go for it.  I don't listen to myself half the time anymore.
Now I want to go back and watch the season 1 and 2 episodes I skipped -- if I can remember which they were.  You're becoming a much more complete being than me, DM.
I'm nobody's pony.
I’m just a vidaddict. And that BM last night gave me weird sexual dreams. Either it was that or the salmon burger I had for dinner. I’ve had similar sleeping issues after salmon burger dinners. Perhaps it was the combo.
Just in case you aren't watching the new Joel McHale show on Netflix.

(03-05-2018, 08:58 AM)Greg Wrote: Just in case you aren't watching the new Joel McHale show on Netflix.

I'm not and that was great!  Thanks for sharing.  Big Grin
(01-05-2018, 10:32 AM)cranefly Wrote: To my mind, episode 5 Metalhead is skippable.

I enjoyed S4E5. It wasn’t as cerebral as the others, just a good ol’ chase tale. I liked the B&W and I usually disdain modern usage of that. Maybe it’s just good to come back to this show after a long break. Mind you, like most of my reviews, I’m easily amused, unlike like ‘no fun’ Glynch and I wouldn’t give his Ep a rave review, but I was entertained. 

One more Ep to go, then I’ll have to wait until next season.
Black Museum - the season finale. Been saving this one and I’m glad I did. It’s like the dark sequel to San Junipero, exploring the notions of digitized consciousness. A 3 act tale with a karmic resolution - quite satisfying - part 1 was based on a story by Penn jillete. Extra points because it’s Letitia from Black panther.

I’m delighted with this show and can hardly wait for the next season. Kudos to Netflix here.