Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hip Hop Nutcracker @ Fox (Redwood City) 12/17/17
I have a funny relationship with the Fox after being backstage with Lou Reed there.  Yeah.  Cuz datz how I rollz.

I went with my mom and daughter.  Stacy set it up but she had to work.  It was an amateur show, but the gal playing Clara was the sister of one of Tara's elementary school classmates, and that family we have remained in contact with.  Her dad is a facebook guru, a Tricycle editor - a leading Buddhist mag - and an ordained Zen priest.  I helped him build his hot tub.  Anyway, the show was fun. The preshow music was killing me and Tara - this odd mix of really bad xmas songs that were hiphopafied, or edmafied, and even one was dancehallified. That was painfully caricature, winceably so.    But the show itself was fun.  It had its moments of amateurishness - tended to dwell too long on the 'ballet' set up and the backdrop xmas tree light were too bright so they obscured the dancers - but it was enjoyable when the hip hop dropped.  The candyland portion that always comes off as racist to me was tolerable because that's where they stacked their hardest b-boys - one guy who could do amazing trick falls and two who built their routines of their joint hypermobility.  One guy who did two dances really only had a quadruple jointed left shoulder, and built his whole dance routine around that, but it was so extreme it was amusing.  The Chinese tea guy did a sort of tongzigong.  At the end, the show producer brought his gf and his newborn out, and then dropped to one knee to propose.  So sweet.  The tix were really expensive - $50 for the balcony - but Clara's mom had just dropped more on a massage session with Stacy, paid in cash, so it was hard to resist.  

Before the show, we went to Crouching Tiger restaurant beforehand, which offers brown rice, an extensive veg selection of mock meats and a full menu of beef, pork, poultry and seafood.  It was Sichuan style and my mom hates spicy, but Tara loves a spicy mabo doufu.  Nevertheless we all ate well and enjoyed it.  Plus this place has Shaolin Temple murals on the wall, so I just gotta luv that.
Shadow boxing the apocalypse