Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Lure (2015) (Polish) by Agnieszka Smoczynska
The Lure is notable as the first Polish musical, or maybe the first Polish horror musical.  It's about two mermaids who come ashore and become singers in a popular band at a nightclub.  Love and hunger become respective problems for them, and beyond that I really don't understand it enough to say more.

While it bombed in Poland, it's done better on the international circuit, earning some good reviews.  It does have a different feel to it, in the looks and makeup of the people and maybe the fantasy elements; but still, to me it felt too derivative, and the acting ranged from so-so by the main players to really bad by some of the peripheral cast.  The music and singing almost won me over in places, but somehow the presentation seemed too amateurish.

There's a fair amount of nudity, but it's presented in a very static manner -- not a push-up, deep-knee bend or cartwheel in sight, so it hardly counts.

No clowns.  No quicksand.  Just not enough to recommend it unless you're into big fish tails.
I'm nobody's pony.