Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Room (2003)
I'm sure there's a DOOM thread about this, but my search resulted in 13 pages and I don't have the time or inclination to search through 10+ pages to find it.

I've known about this movie for years. I even tried to watch it a couple of times but got bored and moved on.

You guys know I love bad movies. I made you watch "The Garbage Pail Kids Movie" and "The Sinful Dwarf".

The difference is that my definition of 'Bad Movie' is 'entertainment value' x 'production value'

This is why "Plan 9 from Outer Space", "Robot Monster" and "Howard the Duck"  reach the level of 'Bad Movie'.

"The Room" fails the 'entertainment value' test. It is a boring movie about a woman cheating on her fiance.

The writing is atrocious and the acting is stilted, but aside from that it's no worse than a high-school play. I've watched many films on NetFlix that are similar or worse.

"The Room" is (to me) boring.

A woman constantly complains to her mother that her relationship is dull. There are no monsters, explosions or aliens to keep it interesting. I could get the same level of banality from "General Hospital"

I actually enjoyed the 'Behind the Scenes' featurette that showed the professional level of cinematography used for this movie (camera dollies, etc.) more than the film.

My main complaint is, that unlike my favorite 'bad' movies, I have no desire to watch it again.
[Image: magpie13.gif]
Wait...does this mean you want to watch The Sinful Dwarf again?
Shadow boxing the apocalypse
(12-05-2017, 09:01 PM)Drunk Monk Wrote: Wait...does this mean you want to watch The Sinful Dwarf again?

I am so effin' in.
I'm nobody's pony.
I assume, ED, that you watched this film in anticipation of the Rogen-Franco production of 'The Disaster Artist'. I have heard all the laudatory things they have said about this film and how it's so bad, it's funny. And how they've watched the film on numerous occasions. 

But remember one thing, Franco and Rogen are total stoners. How baked were you when you watched the film? That's all I'm saying.

Okay, and I'm saying this. A lot of things Rogen thinks are funny are not funny to me.
As a matter of fact, my anger does keep me warm

(12-06-2017, 03:28 AM)Greg Wrote: How baked were you when you watched the film? That's all I'm saying.

Okay, and I'm saying this. A lot of things Rogen thinks are funny are not funny to me.

That train left ED's station years ago. DM is one of the last DOOM brothers still on board, and look where it got him (the Badlands, dinner w/the widow, Dublin distillery tour, I could go on...)

That being said, a lot of things Rogsn thinks are funny aren't funny to me either. He masked his dumb sense of humor as stoner humor, but it doesn't really work as such.
Now is Stoner humor things only stoners will find funny or is it things that are funny only if you are stoned?

I was going with the thinking they found it funny when they were stoned.

Do people still say stoned?

Rogen's laugh is also particularly annoying.
As a matter of fact, my anger does keep me warm

Fair question.  A little of both.  Cheech & Chong were really only funny when stoned.  Harold & Kumar are funnier to stoners than sobers (I'm guessing) but aren't that much funnier when stoned vs. when sober.  Rogen, well, I'm guessing he's funny to people who don't really get stoned but like to say they are stoners because for some dumb reason, they think that's hip.  He is equally unfunny when stoned or sober.

People still say stoned, along with a lot of other slang, but stoned is still the standard.