Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Flying Jatt
Y'all know my general disdain for superhero movies.  But what about Bollywood superhero movies?  What about Sikh superheroes?  This stars Tiger Shroff as the superhero, a genuine martial artist with an incredible body, but it's more for being pretty than punishing.  He can throw spectacular kicks, but is really a better dancer.  And as the villain, the hulking Nathan Jones, who's been villain to Jackie and Jet, not to mention a WWE career.  He's sort of a toxic avenger/smog monster villain (heavy handed pollution comments).  The Sikh angle is interesting as there is some animations of Sikh myth, including one involving Shaolin made up just for this film (the Flying Jatt costume features saffron monk sandals, white socks and criss-crossed bangtui ankle wraps, so signature of Shaolin that I even wore them for a while, back when I used to teach).  There's also a wonderful moment at a Sikh festival demonstrating many of the weird Sikh weapons, like the urumi which y'all learned about from watching my show Man at Arms: Art of War (someday I should really follow up with my Sikh acquaintance from that show). But back to AFJ, it's weird for sure, with some decent dance numbers, goofy humor, some poignant heartstring yanks, and some really silly fights.  The special effects are about the level of the Christopher Reeve Superman (hardly any CGI) which gives it a kind of charm, but not enough to carry it.  I wouldn't recommend this, even for my fellow Bollywooder cf.
Shadow boxing the apocalypse
I've paused on the image for this when stepping through Netflix strream choices -- even earlier tonight -- but it just seemed too hokey even for me.  Thanks.  I'll probably continue to click past.
I'm nobody's pony.