Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Elbow @ The Fox Theater, Oakland
If you're not familiar with the U.K. band Elbow don't feel bad. They are relatively unknown in the U.S. (although well-known enough to headline The Fox). They have a low-key sound, like The National or Peter Gabriel.

The Fox was comfortably full but not sold-out. We arrived 15 minutes before the doors opened and were 4th in line. There were two tables set up 15 feet from the stage on the first riser and we actually got one of them. Yay for sitting down!

The opening act was a solo set from dream-pop artist C Duncan who played some pleasantly soothing tunes.

I was expecting Elbow to be kind of laid-back and mellow. Surprisingly they were very pumped up and energetic. The lead singer was very funny and engaged in audience banter throughout. At one point he talked to someone in the balcony who was complaining that the house lights were to bright. He requested the crew to get them turned off and they actually did it.

He encouraged sing-alongs claiming if you don't know the words just make stuff up.

I will definitely see them again (although they don't tour the states very often).

Here - Listen to this:  "An Audience with the Pope"
[url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Loy8lPJKdXA&list=PL957527D541EFABE5&index=3][/url]
[Image: magpie13.gif]
Okay. On Monday, I had never heard of this band. On Tuesday, they talked about them on my local radio show. Today, ED has seen them.
As a matter of fact, my anger does keep me warm

I had a similar experience as Greg although it started with a cry for support from RM at the Fox.  

Listening to the playlist now.  Nice sound.  Makes me want a cocktail, like a Manhattan or something.  Not sure if that's a compliment tho because I don't really drink cocktails.
Shadow boxing the apocalypse