Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Wife is a Gangster 3: HK Edition
I started rewatching Assassin with subs, but it got too laborious so I switched to this Netflix Shi Qi offering. It's a Korean action comedy franchise where SQ is a gangster's daughter (none other than the venerable Ti Lung) who has to go into hiding in Korea and is taken care of by some bumbling gangsters who don't know who she is. Hilarity ensues. Actually it has some funny moments, lots of translation errors exacerbated by a miss translator, a car chase frontage scene that was awkwardly comical, and sword fights. SQ has never been great martially but her stunt woman is convincing enough and she sure is gorgeuos when blood spattered and wielding swords. And towards the end, she delivers some top notch acting, proving she's an actress to be reckoned with, not just a gorgeuos face. The inevitable ending was unswallowable, but the earlier goofy K-comedy redeemed the predictable romantic conclusion. 

Kinda trips me out that I've had dim sum with SQ's hubby...in Dublin no less.
Shadow boxing the apocalypse
I tried watching this a few weeks ago and gave up maybe 15 minutes in.  There was this sword dance showing the woman's feet and maybe a sword swishing about and then a close-up of her drawing the sword in close to her face.  After that there was this murder in a barber shop only it occurred offscreen, and when they did show the wide-eyed mortally wounded dude with his throat cut, there wasn't a drop of blood oozing out.  That's the point when I shut her down.  Just didn't look like a legit martial arts flick.

But it is a comedy, and I hadn't gotten to anything comedic, so I'll acknowledge that I may have called it too soon.

I might resume it based on your review, DM.
I'm nobody's pony.
It gets better - the comedy doesn't really kick in until they hire the translator.  

It has its moments but I wouldn't really recommend it unless you're a huge K-flick/Shu Qi fan.  I know you like your K-flicks, perhaps even more than me, but I don't know if you're as into SQ as I am.
Shadow boxing the apocalypse