Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yasmine (2014)
This has been in my Hulu queue forever. Finally got tired of seeing there and I'm glad I watched it. It's a family coming-of-age film about a young girl studying Silat, but what makes it special is that it's shot in Brunai and offers a genuine heartfelt postcard of life there, particularly Muslim life. As I'm sure you know, Brunai citizens enjoy being one of the world's richest, and alcohol and live music are banned there. This is the first film to come out of there. And it's beautiful - a tender story about love, friendship, karma and martial arts, well crafted with amateur actors - Liyana Yus is charmingly in the titular role - and the father/daughter story arc gave me the feels. The choreography is serviceable enough to carry the story and there are some glaring plot issues (like the ol' how fast can a nooB master some mystical technique) but it's the characters that deliver. Some strong albeit cliche underlying martial themes - great for kids.

This is what The Next Karate Kid should've been (come on - it was Hilary Swank - totally underused in that film).
Shadow boxing the apocalypse
Yasmine does wubiquan to show her wing chun Tai Chi skills early in the film. This is just a personal note for when I post this on the KFM forum.
Shadow boxing the apocalypse