Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Final Master
'Hao bingqi' - its a line towards the end of the film that means 'good cold arms.'  This is a wonderful wuxia tale of duels, betrayal and martial etiquette set in Tianjin around the ROC period. Lush costumes and ornate sets with a funky overplayed soundtrack, but a decent plot parsed by nice weapon fights. Lots of Push knives - like push hands but with blades. The final alley gauntlet is great fun. Not too sanguineous and a tad over sentimental, but very enjoyable. Wuxia films are really classy now.  

Netflixable & DOOM recommended.
Shadow boxing the apocalypse
Someone in our Tai Chi class pointed us to a specific fight clip in this movie some months ago.  After watching the clip, I decided to check out the opening and ended up watching the whole film.

There's a tremendous dignity to the fights, and so many different weapons, if I recall.  And that final alley gauntlet, highly dignified in so many ways, showing respect for the elders by making them the most proficient.  That was Chen Kuan-tai in there at the end, right?  And some others before him who looked vaguely familiar but I never looked them up.
I'm nobody's pony.
Yup, Chen Kuan Tai.  I wish he had a bigger role.  

This is another flick by Xu Haofeng, who also did Grandmaster, Sword Identity and Judge Archer.  He practices Xingyi, which gives his films a little more martial veracity.  I liked Grandmaster, wasn't that fond of Sword Identity and still haven't seen Judge Archer.
Shadow boxing the apocalypse