Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Magnificent Seven (2016)
So unnecessary. 

Seven Samurai may be may favorite of all. The original M7 was also very good - I enjoyed the reinterpretation immensely. This new version doesn't add anything. Quite the opposite. Denzel & Pratt do what they always do - play that one note of theirs that they play with all their roles. Early in the film, I didn't even think it was Denzel, just some dude doing a bad impression of Denzel.  Hawke pulls a predictable Han Solo bail-then-rescue. The bandit leader is transformed into a merciless robber baron, but his ruthlessness is too much to be credible. The time spent developing his character detracts from the characters of the 7.  There's an racial angle with Denzel being the lead, followed by a Comanche, a Mexican and a Chinese, plus the villager (homesteader) being female, but for the most part, they are reduced to noble savages (well not Denzel or the female, and kudos for the female not having a finale kiss with Pratt because it was leaning that way). The Mexican character felt like it should've been Bandaras, because that role would've fit him well, but they just couldn't get him.  Choreography is mediocre - lots of horse falls.  Actually the archery of the Comanche and knife work of the Chinese is the best part.The rest is just shootin'.  

I would rather watch Battle Beyond the Stars again.
Shadow boxing the apocalypse