Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Odesza
Odesza @ Greek 11/27/17

Had a great interview with Laidback Luke, a major DJ at one of the older Kung fu schools on taraval. Then spent nearly 2 hours in the commute getting here. 

Chet Porter opened. He was unremarkable.

Sofi Tukker is on now - saw her at Outside Lands. A twosome. They're alright.

Only the nurse knows me here - he's an old friend. The rest of the RM vols are half my age at best. We had a mild ipr - oriented X4 on 2 tabs. Got to educate some nooBs on what tabs are (not tablets).

4 RM vols came by with tix. They were pretty sober, maybe a beer or two. I dunno bout this next gen...

Sofi walked right past me. She's lovely.

I'm manning table service. It offers a chair with a view. There's some costuming - mostly store bought. A lot of onesies. Right now I'm looking at a sexy nun in hot pants and knee socks, a dude in a chef hat with piggy ears and a couple in ice skating leos.
Shadow boxing the apocalypse
Odesza is ok. 2 guys on synths with occasional 2 horns and a drum corp. great light show.

Security brought in a decent haul of confiscatables - pills powders quite a bag of fun.
It really bugs me when there are lyrics to a song, but no singer on stage, just DJs bouncing about pressing buttons on the consoles. Shit, I could do that.

Greek shows are still enjoyable. Free premium parking, free concessions leftover meal after 10, good sound and spectacular sunsets. Just getting there and exiting is traffic hell.

Sofi is cool. She actually sings. Odesza has great lights but I'd need a bag of drugs to really enjoy them. And for extra cred, Laidback Luke is legit. I hope to weasel my way into one of his shows someday. Now I have to follow his vlog to see if I appear.
Sofi Tukker is starting to get radio play.  This song of theirs is from me to you all, my DOOMers.

All I kept thinking was that it was really dangerous how they were riding those ATV's. I'm pretty certain no insurance was purchased for that shoot.

Damn, I'm old.
As a matter of fact, my anger does keep me warm

I kept thinking that it was a rather unflattering depiction of Sofi.  I stood about a yard from her backstage at the Greek.  She's much more charming in person and wearing a nice blouse instead of nipple tape.
SLA 11/4/23 Drama > Nasaya > Tycho > Odesza

I know that last 2. It’s a 2 night run (last night in sacto). Full staff. This is a reschedule and a large contingent of fans came out from Oz where Odesza is very popular - they won’t show. Same thing happened last night.
1st 2 acts are lame.
Tycho 2 guys on guitar a decent drummer and a synth guy. Not bad but just one sound.

Stationed stage left bottom concourse nook for odesza

9 person masked drum corp with lots of pyro and lights - percussive opening. Overdone and explosive but entertaining. SLA is now packed. Big boom sound which is all I ask of edm

Big booms and an impossible beat to miss - capacity crowd on their feet bopping to the bass - the audience cheers are as loud as the band. Musically they may have exhausted all their ideas for me but I do love a solid bass drop and the crowd here does too.

Nothing like when the entirety of SLA puts their hands in the air…

Okay they brought a female singer out but still that same beat.
Tara called the encore song. She enjoyed the show but is glad she didn’t buy a ticket.

Lasers through prism confetti cannons never gets old.

Had a bit of a rush in the middle of the set - a few calls at once. Ran a gurney call and dealt with a shirtless drunk stoner. 

A fair night. Now to get it home…
4.1 miles seems about right but only 3 floors? I went up to the top twice. That feels light.
Got a text from Jr Claw (my boss at TC). He was at Odesza tonight 

Saw a post from a rmer at SLA with her crew - they were all decked out in rain gear. A sold out show at SLA in the rain. Glad I was there the day before…

Fav talk of the night

SLA supe to nooBs ‘I’ve seen Gene just appear at scenes when he’s needed even when he doesn’t have a radio’

Me ‘meh, it’s a Jedi mind trick. Once you do that 20 or 30 times, people think you can always do it.’
Hmmm, you stole that bit (suddenly appearing) from an older Rock med guy back in the day. I remember it for one of the Venture Shows. At that time he was older wore fatigues and one of those floppy bush hats. That guy was the legend suddenly appearing when he was needed. Glad you have taken on the mantel.
As a matter of fact, my anger does keep me warm

‘Stole’ is unfair. ‘Inherited’ is more succinct.