Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Ornithologist (2016) by João Pedro Rodrigues
This is a magnificently shot movie that I'm not certain I can recommend.  It takes place in the wilds of Portugal and is a revelation for me, as I always imagined Portugal as this rocky expanse separating Spain from the Atlantic.  Instead, this shows it to have pristine expanses of wilderness, enough to get lost in, which happens in this movie.

Fernando is a bird-watcher deep in the wilds seeking a rare bird.  He is played by Paul Hamy, who resembles Jason Statham but lacks the macho attitude.  It's a great combination.

The bird and wilderness footage is mesmerizing, and I had no problem with the slow pace.  As a few more oddball humans enter the story and the plot picks up, it's still fascinating ... up to a point.  There's a mystical aspect to the story that I think could have worked, but the director seems to rely on it to cover up inconsistencies in characters and events.  As for the ending, it felt tacked on.  I just don't think the director had a story worked out.

To me, the movie was worth it for its breathtaking wilderness and bird footage, and even for some of its surreal elements (despite their weak integration).  There's a mystical atmosphere to the movie that suggests a deeper meaning, but I'm just not convinced it's there.  The director had some intriguing ideas, but didn't seem to know how to make a story of it.

Only for those with patience and a deep appreciation for wildlife and wilderness.
I'm nobody's pony.